MAXQDA

Making files external - in retrospect

31.08.2020, 17:24

My project file is massive and is crashing MaxQDA on my machine. When I first set up the project, when I imported any files I left the default size in place for MaxQDA to suggest that they be saved outside the project file. Does anyone know a way to now, go back and make more files, smaller files, external as well? Or if I attempt this will I lose my coding on those documents?

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Windows 10
LouiseSC

Re: Making files external - in retrospect

08.09.2020, 15:00

Hi LouiseSC,

Thank you for posting here! You can easily store your files externally via "Home > External Files > Store Documents in Folder for External Files". A dialog box will appear listing all documents stored in the MAXQDA project file. Here you select all the documents that you want to store externally.

You can adjust the path for your Folder for External Files in the main preferences of MAXQDA. You can read more about External Files here in our online manual:
https://www.maxqda.com/help-max18/import/external-files

We hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Maren
MAXQDA support team
Maren_eng

Return to Technical Questions