MAXQDA

autocode with lexical search

19.08.2020, 10:27

hello,
I saw that when i ask MaxQDA to autocode sentences with the lexical search, it doesn't autocode everything. for example if I have 50 references of a notion and ask MaxQDA to autocode the phrase with the notion, it then autocode maybe 15 segments. I would like to know how does'nt it work : is it because the notion is in the same sentence (two notions in one sentence = one segment) ? I just would like to understand how does it work so i stop worrying that some notion are left over.

Thank you for your help

have nice day :)

Version: MAXQDA 2020
System: Mac OS X 10.15 (Catalina)
juliefmg

Re: autocode with lexical search

19.08.2020, 10:31

and if i already code some notion, will the autocode "recode" the notion or segment, or will it just code the one i forgot. Thank you :)
juliefmg

24.08.2020, 09:44

Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

It really depends on the coding context that you have defined for autocoding:
1) if you select "Only search strings" for autocoding, then you should get all your search hits coded;
2) if you select "Sentence" as a coding context, MAXQDA then codes the whole sentence where the search item(s) is/are found (regardless the number of hits)
3) The option "Paragraph" operates like 2).

Not sure if I correctly understood your second question, but "recoding" the already coded segment with an autocode is possible. In this case, you get two codes "the old code" (the one you already had prior to autocoding) and an autocode - both attached to the same segment.

I hope this helps! If not, you are welcome to continue this thread.

Best,

Aikokul
Aikokul

27.08.2020, 11:07

I'd like to understand the autocoding a little bit better in the case that a code already exists. Take the following example. In the paragraph below, I have already coded explicari ius with the code "TextA". If I do a lexical search for "explicari ius" and try to code 1 sentence before and 1 sentence after with the code "TextA", it appears that the autocode will not code anything. I suppose this is because the existing code is already there. The reason this is important to me is because I am wanting to go back and autocode documents that I have already coded. However, if the existing code is already there, I don't want autocode to do anything. Am I correct that autocode will not "overwrite" existing codes? (By the way, it would help to add this info to the online manual... or at least I couldn't find it.)

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, quis cetero aliquip est ea, ei mel fastidii senserit sadipscing, altera omnium invenire id ius. Cu per insolens temporibus, ad stet explicari ius, ei sea facer conclusionemque. Nec ornatus legendos ea, animal explicari gubergren has eu. Alii vide commodo pro no, sumo minim eum et. Tation evertitur assentior duo ad, quaeque aliquam nostrum mel ex, ius ne pericula expetenda.
billp000

01.09.2020, 08:51

Does anyone have an answer to this?
billp000

08.09.2020, 15:05

Hi billp000,

Thank you for your question. Yes, you are right: autocoding search results will not overwrite already existing codes. As a code can only be applied to a segment once, nothing happens if a code has already been applied to a segment.

We hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Maren
MAXQDA support team
Maren_eng

Return to Technical Questions