MAXQDA

how to do a lexical search excluding one participant

Moderator: srueger

how to do a lexical search excluding one participant

15.08.2020, 11:39

My documents are interviews. I would like to exclude the interviewer in a lexical search. What is the best way to do this? My documents are already coded so I would have a hard time editing them and importing them back in.

Version: MAXQDA 2020
System: Windows 10
billp000

Re: how to do a lexical search excluding one participant

17.08.2020, 12:28

Hello,

thank you for your question! The best way here would probably be to create some speaker codes first. For example, if your interviews look like this:

I: Hello how are you?
P: I am fine
I: ...
P: ...

you can use the lexical search to automatically code statements by the participant "P". Just search for "P:" and then automatically code the search results with "context: paragraph". Now all statements by the participant should be coded. Now you can retrieve all statements by the participant, by activating their code and documents. Then you use the "only retrieved segments window" function of the lexical search.

You can read more about using autocoding here: https://www.maxqda.com/help-mx20/lexical-search/autocoding-search-results

I hope this helps! Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
Andreas M.

Re: how to do a lexical search excluding one participant

27.08.2020, 11:07

Yes, this works well. Thank you.
billp000

Return to Technical Questions