MAXQDA

Linking Multiple Sources

04.08.2020, 15:20

Hi, I'm a new user. I have multiple sources on each participant who I will include in my study. Personal interviews with 45 already transcribed in separate word files (and also original sound files). Results from phone interviews with 44 (overlapping but not identical) in a single excel spreadsheet. And also criminal justice data in either word or pdf (up to three different files on each person). I wish to link it at all. I've thought that I would have a variable that I place in each word file and excel database that identifies the person to be able to link the records. Would that suffice? Is there anything else I need to do to link the multiple sources? thanks

Version: MAXQDA 2020
System: Windows 10
sracusen

Re: Linking Multiple Sources

11.08.2020, 14:48

Dear sracusen,

Thank you for your question. There are four types of links in MAXQDA you can use to link your data:

1) Internal links - to connect two text, video or image segments (not applicable for spreadsheet documents).
2) External links - to connect a text or image within the project with an external document (beyond MAXQDA)
3) Weblinks - to connect a text or image with a webpage.
4) Geolinks - to connect a text or image and a place on the globe.

You can read more about the four types of links in MAXQDA here in our online manual:
https://www.maxqda.com/help-mx20/links/links-in-maxqda

And you can of course use document variables to store information for whole documents. You can read more about variables here:
https://www.maxqda.com/help-mx20/variables/document-code-variables-maxqda

We hope this helps!

Kind regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,
Maren
MAXQDA support team
Maren_eng

Return to Technical Questions