MAXQDA

Transfer document variables to new project (not the values)

Moderator: srueger

Transfer document variables to new project (not the values)

06.07.2020, 04:11

Hello,
I am working on a research project carried out in two countries, and I have two separate maxqda projects containing the interviews for each country. I am working on country A and created many document variables for my interviews. Now I want to transfer these variables to the country B project. However, I want to transfer the variable names/types only, not the values! This is because I will enter the new values for country B's interviews depending on those interviews' data. Is there a way to do this without retyping the variables and setting their type manually?
Thanks.
Simona

Version: MAXQDA 2020
System: Windows 10
starcrossing

Re: Transfer document variables to new project (not the valu

06.07.2020, 15:22

Hello Simona,

thank you for your question!

The quickest way here seems the following:

Export the variables from one project to excel. Create a new line and add some valid data for one document of the other project (give the correct name, document group and values). When you import this table again into the other project the entries for the one document will be recognised and be used to create the proper variables.

You can read more on the export of variables here: https://www.maxqda.com/help-mx20/variables/exporting-data-excel-spss

And on the import here: https://www.maxqda.com/help-mx20/variables/importing-data-excel-spss

I hope this helps! If not, or in case of any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
Andreas M.

Return to Technical Questions