MAXQDA

Export segments & codes to excel for external stat analysis

Moderator: srueger

Export segments & codes to excel for external stat analysis

29.04.2020, 23:51

Searching through topics related to this question I haven't quite found what I'm looking for--but if it exists and I just missed it, please just point me there!

Here's the question (with a little background to hopefully help in responding to the question).

I am doing applied linguistics research, and my goal is to export my coded data to Excel in a way that my stats software can read (the overall goal being to analyze the same data segments via mixed methods, both quantitatively and qualitatively). This question pertains to the quantitative component.

What I want to do is export all of my coded segments (single words in most cases) and all of the codes associated with each segment such that the table displays which codes are associated with each segment (each segment has multiple codes, usually about 10). Each row of the Excel document would be the segment of text (i.e., the first column of the Excel table). All of the other columns would consist of the codes associated with each coded segment. I've organized my code system to function this way, assuming it's possible to do this--each code group has a few subcodes, but only 1 subcode of each code group is selected for each segment.

In other words, the columns of the Excel file would be the following: 1 = coded segment, 2 = time reference (subcodes = past, present, future, imperative), 3 = subject expression (subcodes = null subject pronoun, overt subject pronoun, noun phrase, adverbial), and so on (I won't list every single code group and subcode for the sake of brevity).

So, take for example the following sentence:

"He speaks Spanish."

The segment that would be coded would be the word "speaks." I want this to appear in Column 1 of my export.

I would code "speaks" as "present" (Column 2) and "overt subject pronoun" (Column 3), (plus several other codes), in terms of the summary above.

So, what I want to do is find a way to export to Excel in which the columns are "Segment," "time reference," and "subject expression," and then the cells are populated with the appropriate subcodes (in this case: "speaks," "present," "OSP").

I have 614 coded segments, and I'd like to do this in one fell swoop, such that the table gets populated with each segment and all of the codes associated with it, organized in the columns as described. Is this possible?

Thank you!

Version: MAXQDA 2020
System: Mac OS X 10.13 (High Sierra)
zilmerc

Re: Export segments & codes to excel for external stat analy

04.05.2020, 20:55

Nothing immediately comes to mind, but perhaps the Code Matrix Browser export could get you closer to where you want.

1. Click on “Visual Tools”
2. Click on “Code Matrix Browser”
3. In the Code Matrix Browser popup
4. Select “Documents”
5. Select “Only for activated documents”
6. Select “Only for activated codes”
7. Click “OK”
8. In the resulting Code Matrix Browser results panel
9. Ensure that the “Sum” icon is off
10. Click the Excel icon

That will give you an occurrence measurement that you could maybe use.
mloxton

Return to Technical Questions