MAXQDA

Microsoft Teams for Interviewing

14.04.2020, 19:30

Has anyone used Microsoft Teams as a platform to conduct interviews?

The webinar said that they have automated timestamped transcription and can record both voice and video, with some background blurring and noise cancelling filters, as well as multiple dial in and dial out capabilities.

On the surface, it sounds like maybe a good way to conduct remote interviews and focus groups

Version: MAXQDA 2020
System: Windows 10
mloxton

Re: Microsoft Teams for Interviewing

27.05.2020, 15:15

Just a follow-up on this.

Getting Microsoft Teams to auto-transcribe has so far been far more tricky than the marketing video suggested (big surprise!), and I have not yet got it to work.

Although IT are sure they have enabled the policies to allow transcription, it still isn't giving me the option. In theory, when one selects "record" during a Teams Meeting (not just using Teams to make a call), then one should get the option to have "closed captioning" (CC), and if CC is selected, then auto-transcription is done.

However, no option for CC is offered, and until IT figures out why not, this method is not workable.
mloxton

Success! : Microsoft Teams for Interviewing

01.06.2020, 20:57

IT made further changes to my MS Teams environment, and it now provides a transcript with timestamps
I still have a residual issue to solve - once I import and link the transcript to the audio recording, MAXQDA is not seeing the timestamps.

To sum up, the attractions of using MS Teams for interviews include:
1. Setting up an interview in the calendar is simple, and includes options for the attendee to use a dial in number, or use a VoIP link
2. Notes can be taken in OneNote, and this can be used to include observations, etc.
3. Audio recording is good quality, and requires no additional equipment or software
4. The raw transcript is available is available within minutes of the call ending
5. It is suitable for a single participant in a one-on-one interview, multiple attendees, or even large groups (I have not yet tested the transcription quality with multiple people)
mloxton

Re: Microsoft Teams for Interviewing

02.06.2020, 18:51

Small update.
I tested with multiple participants, and where other automated transcription services make a good attempt at splitting and identifying the speakers, MS Teams does not attempt to identify speakers.

The implication is that it will be up to the researcher to manually edit the transcript and insert speaker identity.
mloxton

Return to Technical Questions