MAXQDA

Display number of documents not number of coded segments

Moderator: srueger

Display number of documents not number of coded segments

09.04.2020, 17:11

In MaxQDA 2018 one could toggle between displaying the number of coded segments and number of docs along the right hand side of the Document System and Code System panes. I cannot seem to find this option in MaxQDA 2020. Is it possible to do this? Personally, I don't find the # of coded segments count to be very useful, while I do find the # of docs count useful.

Dan

Version: MAXQDA 2020
System: Mac OS X 10.15 (Catalina)
dkovax

Re: Display number of documents not number of coded segments

14.04.2020, 14:47

Hi Dan, I must admit that I can't recall if the Document System allowed one to switch between coded segments and document count in 2018, but in the code system for 2020 click on the gear wheel and in the drop down for the top item "Display Frequency" select "Documents"

That should give you a count of documents

Best
M
mloxton

28.04.2020, 20:40

Thanks! That seems to work for the code system pane. I would also like to see that for the Document System pane to show the number of documents in each folder and set. The gear wheel in that pane does not seem to have an option for that. The workaround that I have found is to activate a doc folder or a doc set and the number os docs activated is shown in the lower left of the workspace
dkovax

04.05.2020, 18:23

Ok, understood.
Two ways you could get a count of documents by document group

1. If you have the Stats option,
- activate all the document groups you want to tally.
- click Stats > Start with Activated Documents
- click Descriptive Stats > Frequencies
- push Document group into the right pane, and click OK

That will give you an exportable list of Document Group with associated document count

2a. If you have no Stats option
- Add a memo to each document (which you traditionally should to explain what the document is about) ;)
- Right-click the document system root, navigate to the Overviews section of the dropdown, and select Memos
- Use the dropdown to select Document Memos
- Export to Excel
- Create a pivot table and count memos per document group

2b. Autocode every document with an new admin code so each document is coded only once
Repeat as 2a to use a pivot table to count the rows per document group
mloxton

14.08.2023, 18:38

I'm just wondering if there's any update or follow-up to this?

It's very useful to be able to change the display frequency options in the Code System (as per screenshot) and it would be very useful to have these options in the Document system also.

While I appreciate the workarounds above, it would be useful to be able to make this change 'on the fly'.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-08-14 183311.png
Display frequency options in Code System
Screenshot 2023-08-14 183311.png (5.28 KiB) Viewed 58733 times
markadley

23.08.2023, 14:01

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this question up again. Unfortunately, there is currently no better solution than the workarounds mentioned above. I have forwarded this as feedback to our development team again.

If any other questions come up, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Meyer

Return to Technical Questions