MAXQDA

changing default of pasting with document name & position

Moderator: srueger

changing default of pasting with document name & position

08.04.2020, 16:22

A new feature of MAXQDA 2020 (maybe in v. 2018 too, but was not present in v. 12) is that when I copy and paste from a document, the source (document name and position) is automatically added to the pasted text. For example, when I copied "體質", it was pasted as "體質 (19 questionnaire 張X荃, Pos. 9)". I often copy and paste from documents (fieldnotes) that are in Chinese so as to look up terms or to copy key concepts into my text. In those cases, the information on the source is not useful, and I have to go back and erase that extra text. Is there some way to turn this feature off? I would much prefer to just paste what I have copied.

Version: MAXQDA 2020
System: Windows 10
JBAnthro

Re: changing default of pasting with document name & positio

17.04.2020, 19:04

Hi,

Do you mean copying a text passage from one text document and pasting it into another text document within MAXQDA (if so, this is quite an unusual behavior)? Or is it about copying a coded segment in MAXQDA and pasting it into a text document outside MAXQDA? Could you please make a screenshot displaying the issue at hand for better understanding?

Best regards,

Aikokul
Aikokul

17.04.2020, 20:12

Hi Aikokul,

Thanks for your reply, and sorry my message was not more clear. Rather than use a screenshot, I can just type it here. If I want to copy a section of text in a document, such as

也沒辦法處理

when I paste it in another document, inside or outside of MAXQDA, it will result in:

也沒辦法處理 (39 questionnaire 張義芳, Pos. 11)

In other words, it pastes:
[ TEXT ]([DOCUMENT NAME][POSITION IN DOCUMENT])

I rarely want this source information in the text when I paste, so I end up spending a lot of time deleting the extra information.

Hope that is clearer. Thanks for any ideas.

JB
JBAnthro

17.04.2020, 23:04

Super - thank you for the explanation! Now I see where the issue lies. Please go to Document Browser Window and click on the gear symbol (preferences), and a dialogue window offers you two options:
1) Copy text segments with source information to clipboard
2) Display coding stripes on the right

Uncheck option 1) and click somewhere else on the window to close the dialog window. This way, you should get all your copied passages pasted without the source information.

Does it work for you?

Best regards,

Aikokul
Aikokul

17.04.2020, 23:39

Hi Aikokul,

Absolutely! Very logical. I somehow failed to see that "Preferences" icon, and only tried the one on the Main menu. I was also not using the right search terms in the manual. Thank you very much!

JB
JBAnthro

Return to Technical Questions