MAXQDA

Structured Text Import - Multicoding?

05.03.2020, 19:03

Has anyone found a way to multi-code the same text segment using the Structured Text import method?

I want to apply several codes to a single text segment using the Import > Structured Tewxt function.
If I have one code with text between a #CODE <code\subcode #ENDCODE instruction, it works perfectly.
However, of I try to have multiple codes for that segment, it picks up only the last code for the segment, and applies the first code to the second code

e.g.

#CODE S&T Dimension\Cyber Security
#CODE S&T Dimension\5th Gen AI
#CODE S&T Dimension\Drone & Autonomous Devices
Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk predicted Friday that the future of war would be carried
out by autonomous drones and not by legacy aircraft.
“The fighter jet era has passed,” Musk said during a fireside chat with U.S. Air Force Lt. Gen.
John Thompson at the Air Warfare Symposium in Orlando.
Musk also said that Lockheed Martin’s F-35 fighter jet, which is the Pentagon’s most
expensive weapons system, should have a competitor.
#ENDCODE
#ENDCODE
#ENDCODE

Result

Cyber security: #CODE S&T Dimension\5th Gen AI
Drone & Autonomous Devices: Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk predicted Friday that the future of war would be carried
out by autonomous drones and not by legacy aircraft.
“The fighter jet era has passed,” Musk said during a fireside chat with U.S. Air Force Lt. Gen.
John Thompson at the Air Warfare Symposium in Orlando.
Musk also said that Lockheed Martin’s F-35 fighter jet, which is the Pentagon’s most
expensive weapons system, should have a competitor.

Version: MAXQDA 2020
System: Windows 10
mloxton

Re: Structured Text Import - Multicoding?

11.03.2020, 15:54

From the manual chapter 02/Importing Data, Structured Documents (Preprocessor):

Tip: To assign several codes to a text part you can combine the codes with two “&&” characters, e.g. #CODEFirst code && Second code && Third code

I think nesting codes (like XML or HTML-Tags) is not possible.

See manual:

Important: As soon as “#CODE” appears in the text, the new code will be used, automatically ending the coded segment of the previous code.
Asterix

Return to Technical Questions