MAXQDA

Importing web collector data

10.12.2019, 00:21

I am getting an error today when I try to import from web collector.

If I click on the import button after opening the Web Collector Data dialogue, I get an error popup for each row selected.
e.g. "Error extracting file at row 1"

It doesn't matter if it is a new document or if I select an old one that previosuly imported ok.

Any ideas?

Version: MAXQDA 2020
System: Windows 10
mloxton

Re: Importing web collector data

10.12.2019, 12:43

Thank you for contacting and notifying us about this issue! Since we're now addressing this issue in support, I'll just make a general statement: issues connected to captured websites are usually very unique in regard to both the website(s) targeted (the more complicated they are, the more problems tend to come up) and/or the system used to do so, which is one reason why it's better to contact us at

https://www.maxqda.com/help-support/onlinesupport

to address similar issues. In this case, please tell us the URLs which you like to capture. If you want to troubleshoot beforehand, kindly continue reading:

A good first step to narrow the issue down is to create a new project file and try to import the websites there. If this doesn't help:

Please go to the folder the downloaded Web Collector Pages are stored in (by default this would be your "Downloads" folder, the files are recognizable by their extension: ".mxml" files). In this folder, create a new subfolder for testing purposes (e.g. "WebCollectorTest") and copy a couple of the collected pages (the .mxml files) into that folder. Then start MAXQDA, go to the "Import Web Pages from MAXQDA Web Collector"-dialogue and change the path of the "Import folder" to the one you previously created. The copied pages should now be listed in the dialogue - does importing them work now?

If the above leads to the same results (Web Collector Data failing to import), please try to reset your user settings (this can be done in the "Preferences" menu accessible by clicking the gear icon in the top-right corner). Though unlikely, there might be an error in the configurations file that should get solved by resetting the user settings. If none of those steps help, please contact us through the support form mentioned above and tell us which URLs your're trying to capture so we can try to reproduce the issue.
Andreas V.

Return to Technical Questions