MAXQDA

Error after automatic back up

09.12.2019, 17:52

Is anyone else experiencing a series of issues related to automatic backups resulting in the corruption of the original project file?

Here's the sequence I am seeing:

1. Open Project: messagebox says project must be backed up
2. Click OK: Messagebox says the backup could not be done
3. Click OK: progress messagebox hangs
4. Kill app
5. Reopen project file: Messagebox says the file is damaged or wrong type

If I go to the backup files and attempt to open the last backup, I get a messagebox saying that this is a V11 file and cannot be opened

Version: MAXQDA 2020
System: Windows 10
mloxton

Re: Error after automatic back up

09.12.2019, 19:17

Resolved this.

It happens since 20.0.3 update with projects over ~3 MB and if you are doing automatic backups to a thumbdrive.
The solution is to open a small project and change the backup location to a PC folder, and then reopen the large project and let it do the backup.

The secondary problem of not being able to open a 2020 backup is unresolved
mloxton

Re: Error after automatic back up

11.12.2019, 14:19

Just in case someone else is experiencing this behaviour – we solved this issue with our technical support.

Probably, in this case MAXQDA wasn't able to create a complete back up file due to the USB drive being almost full. If you are using a portable license, please make sure to grant MAXQDA sufficient space on your USB flash drive to operate.

Best,
Maren
MAXQDA support team
Maren_eng

Return to Technical Questions