Codes disappearing after update?

15.07.2019, 18:53

Hello! I recently updated my laptop to MAXQDA 2018, and I have also had several iOS updates over the past 6-8 months. I opened an .mx12 data file that I had not worked with for a while, and it seems like most of my coded segments have been "uncoded." The codes are still listed, the texts are still there, but the number of instances per code is - in most cases - 0. I right-clicked on the code area in the document browser to make sure I had not silenced the code names from showing, but that is not the problem. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I overlooking a way to reactivate the coding of the sections? My iOS is actually Mojave, but I couldn't select that. Thank you!

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Mac OS X 10.13 (High Sierra)
LGassin

Re: Codes disappearing after update?

16.07.2019, 15:34

Dear LGassin,

Thank you for letting us know about this issue! No, usually, coded segments don't simply vanish; the most common explanation for this is a mixup between two files. The second most common reason for this is connected to the following question: Are you missing coded segments from your "Code System", or coding stripes from your Document Browser? Since you wrote "I right-clicked on the code area in the document browser to make sure I had not silenced the code names from showing, but that is not the problem.", I believe the first issue applies here. Otherwise, for anyone else reading this, kindly continue reading here:

https://www.maxqda.com/help-max18/05-coding/visualizing-coded-segments-in-the-document-browser

If the coded segments have vanished altogether from your project file, then we would be happy to investigate this issue, in order to find out what has happened. In this case, the most straightforward way to address this, would be to have a look at your project file. To send us our project file, you can use the following support form:

https://www.maxqda.com/help-support/onlinesupport

There is an "attachment" field which you can use. If your project file is too large, please still create a ticket, we'll then send you an upload link afterward.

Please feel free to contact us in case of any further questions.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Re: Codes disappearing after update?

17.07.2019, 22:33

Thank you very much, Andreas! I will check into the resources you mentioned. It may well be a problem with my computer or the iOS updates.
LGassin

Return to Technical Questions