Startup Welcome Screen Incomplete

13.06.2019, 21:13

This morning when I started up MAXQDA, the welcome screen was missing several components, and I was wondering if I had made some change in settings that caused this behavior.

Here is what I am expecting to see:

On the left, a blue pane with the user name and project open options, and to the right, a white pane with the news bar, links and resources, featured videos, and below a bunch of ways to stay in contact.

But here is what I am seeing now:

It now only has the blue pane, and the entire right side with the white pane is gone.

I don't recollect making any changes, my internet connection is good and the same as before, and rebooting did not make a difference.
I suspect this is something on the MAXQDA web side, but unsure.

Anyone have a thought?

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Windows 10
mloxton

Re: Startup Welcome Screen Incomplete

17.06.2019, 15:18

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for letting us know about this issue! I believe you might have encountered a strange display error connected to the html-file that gets loaded on startup. We couldn't figure out yet why this happens, but we found a way to fix the issue in question:

1) Press the windows-key + R and enter the following path: %APPDATA%\MAXQDA2018
2) Delete the StartHtml.ini

After the next startup, the start screen should look normal again.

Do you remember doing anything unusual before the error occured? Or what you did right before that start screen was incomplete?

Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

17.06.2019, 21:24

Ok, thanks, that worked.
I had to adapt your path to get to the portable version executable, and had to find the StartHtml.ini file in the 2018 folder, but once I renamed the ini file, the startup screen was back to normal.

As far as I remember, right before the startup screen problem, I had closed a number of apps in preparation for delivering a webinar - so VPN, Outlook, Skype, Word, Excel, etc., and had fired up PowerPoint and Notepad.

I saw no error messages or anything else out of the ordinary.

-M
mloxton

18.06.2019, 17:14

Great, thank you as well for your feedback! I'll pass your information on to our developers. Maybe closing the VPN led to the system reconfiguring its network connection, and if this didn't finish it time, it might be that MAXQDA was unable to load the content of the HTML-file from the web, in which case it decides that it's better to start without this screen then not to start at all.. but that's just guesswork, hopefully, our programmers can isolate this issue in the near future. Thanks again!
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Return to Technical Questions