WebCollector reduced success rate?

05.06.2019, 21:01

Has anyone else noticed a drop-off of success using the WebCollector?

I am getting more cases recently where one of three failures occur:
1. The collector never gets past the initial collecting screen that says "Please wait Initializing Process"
2. Collector reaches 100% but then hangs there forever and no pdf is created
3. Collects, but the resulting pdf is mostly empty whitespace with only a few parts of the page collected.

One of these failures used to happen in maybe 5% of cases, but not nearly half of mine are failing on one of these three things.

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Windows 10
mloxton

Re: WebCollector reduced success rate?

06.06.2019, 13:13

Hi -
Thank you for letting us know. We had not noticed any changes in behavior so far. What type of websites are you working with? Have you noticed any kind of pattern? If you have a list of websites that did not get downloaded, could you share it with our online support, so we can run some additional tests?
Best regards,
Julia
Julia Gerson
MAXQDA Team
Julia Gerson

06.06.2019, 16:49

Thanks Julia, I will put together a list as suggested.
-M
mloxton

12.06.2019, 16:49

Hi!

I have the same problem as you!
Just intalled the Add and tried to uplaod content but nothing happens. I wonder if you have heard anything that helped to resolve this problem since then?

thanks in advance
felicia.bielser

12.06.2019, 17:24

Hi Felicia,
It looks like others are not able to replicate my issue, but I was able to find a workaround - if I restart Chrome and collect from a fresh page each time, I get 100% success.

Hope that works for you, but if not, perhaps you can list the steps you took and the url of the page you were trying to collect?
That would allow others to try to replicate your issue and find a solution.

-M
mloxton

14.06.2019, 07:21

Hi,

Thanks for you advice.

I am working on a company computer and I had to download a portable version of Google chrome to have a recent version of Chrome that does not require administrator rights to install :(https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable)

When I use this portable version the collector works. But, same thing as you, I have to restart Chrome and collect data form a fresh page each time.

there is still a but… I tried to collect data from Facebook and it doesn't work. I wonder if someone tried to collect data from Facebook and got success?

F.
felicia.bielser

14.06.2019, 12:35

Hi Felicia,
It looks like others are not able to replicate my issue, but I was able to find a workaround - if I restart Chrome and collect from a fresh page each time, I get 100% success.

Hope that works for you, but if not, perhaps you can list the steps you took and the url of the page you were trying to collect?
That would allow others to try to replicate your issue and find a solution.

-M

Hi M,
That's great to know. I will pass this info on to the MAXQDA developers!
Julia
Julia Gerson
MAXQDA Team
Julia Gerson

Return to Technical Questions