How to put a space after a paragraph

16.05.2019, 05:09

Hi all,

I can't figure out how I put a space beneath a paragraph. I found the line spacing option that changes the height of each line, but that's not what I need.

Please see the attached screenshots. The bottom half is the text format I am trying to achieve.

John

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Mac OS X 10.13 (High Sierra)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 21.07.38.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 21.07.38.png (248.07 KiB) Viewed 923 times
team_uni

Re: How to put a space after a paragraph

16.05.2019, 15:50

Hi John,

Thanks for the question! I suspect you've tried to insert a new line/paragraph via the enter-key but nothing happens? The most common reason for this is that the "Edit"-mode hasn't been activated beforehand; you'll find the respective button in the title bar of the "Document Browser" window. Here you read more about the "Edit"-mode:

https://www.maxqda.com/help-max18/03-organize-edit-data/edit-text-tables

I hope this helps! If not, or in case of any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

18.05.2019, 01:31

Thanks for the reply Andreas. I am able to insert a new line through the method you described. However, that is not what I am looking for. In the image I posted, there are no text line breaks between the lines of text. Instead, the bottom half of the image shows text that is formatted with spacing after the paragraph.

I notice that I am able to create text in MAXQDA formatted this way through the following method. Open MS Word doc. Type a few lines of text. Format text as having 10pt spacing at the end of each paragraph. Copy and paste into MAXQDA. Once I do that, I have text in MAXQDA that has spacing after the paragraph without having to insert a line break. What I would like to do is format text that is already in MAXQDA this way.
team_uni

21.05.2019, 14:52

Hi John,

Thank you as well for your informative reply, that's very good to know – now I believe I understand the issue. It's as follows:

In contrast to the line spacing, you can't edit the paragraph spacing in MAXQDA directly (yet), but I believe there should be a viable and simple workaround:

1) First, export the document for which you wish to change the paragraph-spacing
2) Open it in MS Word and apply the changes to the paragraph-spacing
3) Import the new document into MAXQDA
4) Simply transfer your coded segments from your old transcript with the wrong paragraph-spacing to the new document with the right paragraph-spacing by right-clicking on the old transcript and selecting "Teamwork Export". (Then export all connected data into an .mex-file.)
Afterwards, you can right-click on the new document and select "Teamwork Import" (and select the file you've just imported a step before that).

I hope this works? If not, or in case of any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

29.05.2019, 23:07

Andreas,

Thanks so much. This is a good workaround. I hadn't realized you could import coding onto a new document. That's super nifty and useful. Will it also transfer over time stamps and memos? Thanks again.
team_uni

Return to Technical Questions