Code colors and defining color meaning

06.03.2019, 22:48

I need some help working with code colors.

I understand how to assign colors to codes and subcodes. However, how can I define the meaning of the color in a memo or comment? Another way of asking the same question: When I right click in the "coding strip column," it pulls up a window with the colors. Some of the colors have names (e.g. "Blue" or "Magenta") and some are just blank. How do I change the names of the colors to reflect the meaning of the color (e.g. "emotion" or "belief")?

Thanks!

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Mac OS X 10.13 (High Sierra)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 13.47.49.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 13.47.49.png (176.37 KiB) Viewed 826 times
team_uni

Re: Code colors and defining color meaning

27.03.2019, 11:07

Dear team_uni,

Thanks for the question! Naming the colors themselves directly in the window you have posted a screenshot of, or attaching memos to them is not directly possible. I think the main reason for this is because the definition of categories is usually done via Code-Memos. I would also recommend to use Code-Memos, then you can use e.g. the "Codebook" to easily export a list of your categories and their definitions.

You can of course also define the meaning of certain code colors; to do this, you could use a free, or the project memo. Those features allow you to precisely change the color of text (there is also a quick list for the most commonly used code colors), so you can easily make a list of relevant color definitions there.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Return to Technical Questions