project file size

03.03.2019, 10:13

Hi,
my project contains around 2000 documents (docx and pdf). Altogether, it reaches almost 2G in size.
Is it too big for MAXQDA 2018?
I'm using Windows10 platform.
thanks!

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Windows 10
ariek

Re: project file size

06.03.2019, 19:32

Dear ariek,

Thanks for your question! Without knowing more about your Word- and PDF-files, it's a bit difficult to say, but in general the answer is a clear no: you can definitely import and work with 2000 or even 10000 documents. We see it however from time to time that broken or very complex files (Word files with OLE, very old PDF files etc.) are imported that can cause problems. But generally, you can import thousands of files and work with them.

A few hints if you should decide to do so:

1) Use document groups. This will increase the performance because MAXQDA doesn't process all of the files at once with some operations
2) If you really should reach the RAM-limit of the 32-bit version, kindly contact us, then we can provide you with the 64-bit-version which almost has no limit in regard to how much RAM you can use
3) Don't integrate your PDFs into the project file, but save them as externally stored documents. You can read all about this here:

https://www.maxqda.com/help-max18/import/external-files

I've also made some remarks about a similar question right here, maybe that could also be of interest to you:

https://www.maxqda.com/en/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1373

We hope this helps! If not, or in case of any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Return to Technical Questions