Mac asks for accessibility

13.02.2019, 14:24

Dear all

I freshly installed maxqda 18.2.0 on my Macbook with OS Mojave 10.14.2. Just a few minutes in I am ask to grant maxqda "accessibility" under the header privacy, meaning allowing it to "control your computer". Why, e.g. what for, does maxqda need such rights?

>> in the drop-down-menu for operating system "mojave" is not included.

Best,
SL

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Mac OS X 10.13 (High Sierra)
lindows

Re: Mac asks for accessibility

13.02.2019, 16:21

Dear lindows,

Thank you for letting us know about this issue! And welcome to the MAXQDA Forum! We are sorry to hear you ran into this issue while using MAXQDA.

That's the first time we've heard about this message, but we were able to reproduce it here with the newest Mojave-version as well. Our programmers are now investigating this issue; I'll update this post when they found a solution (probably beginning of next week).

Just a few minutes in I am ask to grant maxqda "accessibility" under the header privacy, meaning allowing it to "control your computer". Why, e.g. what for, does maxqda need such rights?

The programmers are not quite sure yet why this happens, but they believe that some technical process that was unproblematic before now triggers a new protective mechanism possibly introduced by Apple a short while ago. You can find many other users using many different programs wondering about the same thing (this discussion is from 2014 however, so this issue seems to have some history.. never heard of this before though, but I'm also not an Apple user):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5901693

What I can promise you however is that whatever those messages say, MAXQDA will never "control your computer" more then it needs to in order to function properly. None of your data (except the necessary information in regard to the license system/activation) gets transmitted, most certainly never any part of your project file, and MAXQDA also doesn't access mics or cameras etc.

In closing, we fully understand and share your scepticism when asked by an app whether it might "control your computer". We also wouldn't want any app "controlling our computer". I'm sure the programmers will try to get rid of this message as soon as possible, but I can't tell you how long this will take and if they can succeed – maybe this "right" to "control your computer" is technically necessary in order for MAXQDA to work (it certainly looks this way with other apps such as Skype or Snagit as well, if you follow the link to Apple posted above).

We hope this helps! If not, or in case of any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Return to Technical Questions