dragging codes to creative coding

19.10.2018, 21:24

When I open Creative Coding, a box with my codes comes up, and the open space for creative coding says "drag codes here" but the codes don't move. Do they need to be activated?

I used creative coding once before, but now can't get it to work. Am I missing a step?
thanks

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Windows 10
kristahiser

Re: dragging codes to creative coding

22.10.2018, 13:14

Hello kristahiser,
thanks for your question and welcome to the MAXQDA Forum! That sounds quite similar to a bug we had recently. Could you update MAXQDA and see if that helps? To do so, please navigate to the "?"-symbol in the top right corner and select "Search for updates".

I hope this helps! If not, or in case of any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

27.10.2018, 02:07

Unfortunately, I am already on 18.1.1. What else can I try?
kristahiser

30.10.2018, 01:12

Is there another suggestion? My project is at a standstill since I purposely made very small codes and thought I'd use creative coding to build them into categories. I saw something about erasing my project and opening from the desktop or something? I have saved the project on my desktop and I am uploaded to latest version. Please advise. I am sad.

Krista
kristahiser

30.10.2018, 13:04

[We are currently addressing this issue with Krista in our support system, this is just an update for anyone who might experience similar issues.]

The next recommondation would be to reset the file for temporary user settings. To do this,

1) Press the windows-key + R and enter the following path: %APPDATA%\MAXQDA2018
2) Delete the files "MAXQDA2018.ini" and (if existing) "MAXQDA2018.ini.LOCK"

This will not delete any of your data – only the list of recently opened projects will be cleared, window arrangements reset, and entered search terms in the lexical search will be deleted.
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

02.11.2018, 02:37

Erasing files from the finder worked. For a while. In one work session, I had to go back and do that three times!
Now, another question. When I have it working, I open the Creative Coding workspace, but not all of my codes are available -- a whole category doesn't even appear on the menu. I close CC and the category is still there. Weird yes? I tried activating codes. What makes codes be "eligible" for creative coding? thank you.
kristahiser

06.11.2018, 18:04

I'm sorry to hear you have to reset user settings more frequently – this shouldn't be the case! There is one factor that often plays a crucial role when issues like this occur. It is connected to the following question:

Have you maybe opened your project file not from a local hard drive, but from a network ressource, USB-stick, external hard drive, or from a folder that's being kept synchronized with a cloud service?

One common cause for all kinds of issues results from not opening the project file from a local hard drive, but from a network ressource, USB-stick, external hard drive, or from a folder that's being kept synchronized with a cloud service. Since MAXQDA is a database program, all changes get saved automatically. If however the connection gets interrupted, this can lead to errors in the database structure. This is why we strongly recommend to always open the project file from a local hard drive. (You can save it anywhere you want of course, this is just about opening.)

In regard to your question:

What makes codes be "eligible" for creative coding?

Codes with more then two levels of subcodes will not be taken into account. You can read more about this here:

https://www.maxqda.com/help-max18/06-creative-coding/idea-behind-creative-coding

Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

12.12.2018, 15:28

Same problem, but on a Mac. Any advice about where to find .plist or preferences as the .ini file mentioned above?

The creative coding window is essentially non-functional right now for me.
calebmac

18.12.2018, 14:08

Dear calebmac,

To reset user settings on Mac, you can do the following:

1) Open the finder, press SHIFT + CMD + G, enter the following and click 'Ok':
~/Library/Preferences/MAXQDA 2018

2) Delete the files "MAXQDA2018.ini", "MAXQDA2018.prp" and "MAXQDA2018.ini.LOCK"

I hope this helps? If not, or in case of any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

29.12.2018, 08:57

That fixed it! Thank you!!
calebmac

21.03.2019, 15:14

I'm having the same problem. When I open Creative Coding, my codes pop up in a separate window. I cannot drag codes over, and I get an error "ding" when I try to click on them.
I'm using MAXQDA Plus 2018 Release 18.2.0.

I've checked for files to delete, but there were none with .ini or .prp

I'm on a Windows 7 machine.
JBirdman

Return to Technical Questions