Freezing when adjusting browser size

24.09.2018, 16:41

I am having frequent problems with the program freezing when I attempt to enlarge the browser size. I then have to force quit. I can go to full screen without a problem, but if I want to enlarge the window manually, it freezes. Ideas?

Background: I have 18.1 running on Mac OS X 10.13

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Mac OS X 10.13 (High Sierra)
kboonstra

Re: Freezing when adjusting browser size

25.09.2018, 09:57

Hello kboonstra,
thanks for bringing this to our attention and welcome to the MAXQDA Forum!

Could you please check if resizing is possible when your Mac is in safe mode?

To start up in safe mode:

1) Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. Wait for the Apple logo to appear.

2) Release the Shift key once the login window is displayed.

If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

3) Open MAXQDA and attempt to resize it.

If resizing is possible, please restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup and check again if it is still possible to resize MAXQDA's application window.

Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

01.10.2018, 14:50

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your response. I checked, and I encounter the same issues in safe mode. Other thoughts?

Thanks,
Kathryn
kboonstra

12.12.2018, 15:31

Bumping...I'm having the same issue.

(also running 18.1.1 on macOS 10.13.6)
calebmac

02.01.2019, 12:52

I have an update in regard to cases where resizing the window by dragging it at its corners leads to a crash:

This issue is connected to a faulty qt-framework that has been integrated on Macs from version Yosemite/El Capitan to High Sierra. Since those changes of the qt-framework are rooted in the operating system, it is not possible for our programmers to address this issue by changing MAXQDA (other programs are affected by a smiliar issue). However, Apple has addressed this issue with the new version macOS Mojave. So the only viable workaround for anyonye who encounters this issue is to upgrade to Mojave.

Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

26.02.2019, 05:11

The free upgrade to MAXQDA 18.2.0 solved the problem of MAXQDA freezing when I adjusted window sizes for several days on my machine (running Mac OS X 10.13.x like the others here).

I was ecstatic, as my Mid-2011 hardware is not eligible for upgrade to Mojave. Then, just as suddenly, the problem started again. :cry:

The momentary fix made the supposed explanation from MAXQDA Support Team--that only Apple can address the problem--suspect to me. I could provide more information if programmers were still working toward a solution.
SSH

27.02.2019, 13:24

Dear SSH,

Thank you for letting us know about this issue. I'm sorry to read about your experience. I've just forwarded your question to our Chief Technology Officer and he explained the situation to me:

Unfortunately, with those customers that are affected by this bug, it happens that resizing will work and then seize to work again with updates. It also happened that the resizing-bug vanished for a while after our customers started MAXQDA in "safe mode", but a short while after, the bug reappeared.

Our CTO tried to explain it like this: with an update, something (we also don't know what exactly) gets reset that triggers this bug. Then the users performs an action that changes this something, and then the resizing-bug resurfaces again.

I know it's not a good explanation, but our programmers can see with their debugging-tool that the errors lies within the "qt-framework", which they can't access/reprogram, and finally, they also wrote to Apple and got an answer (a few months later) that confirmed the bug and this is also where they told us that it will be fixed with Mojave.

Sorry I can't bring you any better news!

If there is anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

28.02.2019, 05:03

Andreas, thanks for the detailed reply. I understand I'm in a small minority of MAXQDA users with this problem, but I wonder if those of us in this position might exploit this "something" to regularly flush or reset our settings. Perhaps a patch or a way to regularly reinstall updates? I don't ask for programmers to be tasked with this, but am just putting this out there in case another user can think of a workaround.
SSH

15.06.2019, 00:30

Just following up on this ONE more time to let others know that I've been successfully resizing windows with an app (the one I'm using is called Spectacle, but there may be others). Happily, I've had many hours of stable, crash-free use of MAXQDA with this workaround.
SSH

17.06.2019, 15:11

Dear SSH,

Great, thank you so much for sharing this workaround! I have shared this information in our team, hopefully, it will help those who still struggle with the issue and can't update to Mojave.

Thank you again!

Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Return to Technical Questions