Several problems: Time marks, not visible codes, moved codes

Several problems: Time marks, not visible codes, moved codes

20.09.2018, 10:02

Hello everyone. I am quite frustrated with Maxqda for several reasons. I was trying to review my transcribed text using transcription modus, while doing corrections to the text I was aware that the time marks were not activated so I started to mark them with enter. Curiously the button "New Time mark (f6)" was never activated so I could never use it. Anyhow. While doing all these I started making some codes and writing some memos. The program crashed several times. I don´t know what I did wrong. Usually in the youtube tutorial for transcription is mentioned that it is possible to do this. Well this has caused me a lot of frustration. I wanted the codes near the paragraphs of the transcribed interview and not in the audiofile. Until I realized that they were "there" in the audio file and not gone, I lost also some time and temper there...
Now the result is that the time marks are wrong, they somehow send me to other parts of my interview and the worst thing is that codes and memos are moved and are in wrong parts of the interview.
What can I do now? I do not find a tool so i can just place the codes in the correct paragraphs, so I am basically erasing and re-coding again. Next problem: While making new codes, some are not visible in the codes column but I see them in the codes window. Time marks I can forget... Is frustrating. So again here my specific questions:

Is it possible to transcribe, set time marks, code and writing memos simultaneously?
Is it possible to import all the codes and memos already done, into a new copy of the same interview (this in the case that I go back to my F4 Transcription programm to activate time marks). How do I do this?
Why I do not see some codes in the window of my interview text? They are not there, but they are in the code window.
Is there any difference in writing memos in audio file and in the interview text? Are all codes visible then when working just with the text?

Thank you for your answers!

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Windows 10
yolandalg

Re: Several problems: Time marks, not visible codes, moved c

20.09.2018, 13:35

Hello yolandalg,
thank you for bringing this to our attention, and welcome to the MAXQDA Forum! I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. Let me start by going through your questions one bye one:

Is it possible to transcribe, set time marks, code and writing memos simultaneously?

Yes, technically, this is possible, but I would really not recommend it, especially not to anyone who is not really proficient in the usage of MAXQDA (and I'm quite sure I haven't shown or recommended it in the respective (official) video tutorial, maybe you were watching one from someone else?). The reason for this is the following:

When you transcribe and set timestamps, each of those links (timestamps are basically just links of course) between the audio file and the transcript depends on two cursors while it is created: the one that denotes the position in the audio or video file, and the one that denotes the position in the transcript. When you code either the audio file or the transcript while transcribing, you change the position of either one of those cursors. Now, when you continue transcribing, this change in the position of one of the cursors will often make no sense for MAXQDA:

With the timestamps A, B, C, D and the cursor X, imagine the following:

Audiofile: A B X C
Transcript: A X B C

When you now want to insert the timestamp D at the position X, you'll tell MAXQDA on the one hand (audio) that it should be after A B, and on the other hand that it should be before B C (in the transcript). This makes no sense for MAXQDA, which is why the option to insert a timestamp will be greyed out (I think this is what you are refering to by "Curiously the button "New Time mark (f6)" was never activated so I could never use it.")

While doing all these I started making some codes and writing some memos. The program crashed several times. I don´t know what I did wrong.

Hm this really should work without any issues, but a few years ago, I know this caused some problems (coding while the EDIT-mode was activated). But since MAXQDA 12, we didn't have any real issues in this regard, and here, it works quite well to do all this while in transcription mode.. but as with the issue mentioned above, it might be possible that there are some technical necessities that lead to problems. (For example, deleting (all the) characters to which a Code or Memo is assigned will pose the question as to where MAXQDA should put the Memo/Code.) I'll ask our testers if they know anything about this. But in any case, I would try to keep it simple and not do too many things at once.

I wanted the codes near the paragraphs of the transcribed interview and not in the audiofile. Until I realized that they were "there" in the audio file and not gone, I lost also some time and temper there

Hm.. as far as I know, the only way to code the audio file or the transcript is to mark the respective area either in the wave form or in the transcript, and then drag & drop it, or use a shortcut.. So I'm a bit puzzled as to how this happened..

Is it possible to import all the codes and memos already done, into a new copy of the same interview (this in the case that I go back to my F4 Transcription programm to activate time marks). How do I do this?

Yes, both is possible. To create a duplicate of a text document already existing in MAXQDA, you can simply open that docment in the "Document Browser", press CTRL+A to select all of it, and then drag & drop the selection into the window "Document System". This will create the duplicate.

But yes, if you already have the transcript from F4 with timestamps, then it would be preferable to import it with timestamps from there. To import it, export it with timestamps in F4, then go to "Import > Transcript with Timestamps" in MAXQDA.

Why I do not see some codes in the window of my interview text? They are not there, but they are in the code window.

Most likely because they are either assigned to the audio file, or because they are set to not be displayed in the "Document Browser". To see if the second possiblity is the case here, right-click on the coding-stripe-column in the "Document Browser"-window to select which codes (code colors) to display. You can read more about this here:

https://www.maxqda.com/help-max18/05-coding/visualizing-coded-segments-in-the-document-browser

Is there any difference in writing memos in audio file and in the interview text?

Once they can be found below the wave form, once next to the transcript (any single memo or code won't appear at both locations simultaneously, if that is what you were wondering about..?).

I hope this helps! If not, or in case of any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

21.09.2018, 09:52

Thank you very much for your answers Andreas! So it seems that I´ve made a mess...

One thing is not clear to me though. In the case that I import the transcript with timestamps from F4 is it then possible to export the codes and memos that I already did in that document? Below I copy your answer, it seems to me that it wouldn´t be possible, and I want to ask you again cause I didn´t understand. (sorry)

Yes, both is possible. To create a duplicate of a text document already existing in MAXQDA, you can simply open that docment in the "Document Browser", press CTRL+A to select all of it, and then drag & drop the selection into the window "Document System". This will create the duplicate.
But yes, if you already have the transcript from F4 with timestamps, then it would be preferable to import it with timestamps from there. To import it, export it with timestamps in F4, then go to "Import > Transcript with Timestamps" in MAXQDA.

Thank you a lot for your orientation!

Best regards,

Yolanda
yolandalg

24.09.2018, 14:28

Dear Yolanda,

whoops, I see now that indeed my answer was rather not really an answer to your question/not quite finished... sorry about that! Yes, you can transfer the coded segments, memos, summaries etc. from one document to another by the following procedure:

1) Rightclick on the document from which you want to export the attached data
2) Select "Teamwork > Teamwork Export"
3) Rightclick on the document for which you want to import the data
4) Select "Teamwork > Teamwork Import"

The placement of the coded segments and memos relies on the number of characters however, so the documents should be identical – otherwise the placement of this data will be displaced accordingly.

If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask them! Especially if my answers are not to the point and it looks like my mind might have drifted while answering ;-)

Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

19.10.2018, 16:50

Hello yolandalg,
With the timestamps A, B, C, D and the cursor X, imagine the following:

Audiofile: A B X C

When you now want to insert the timestamp D at the position X, you'll tell MAXQDA on the one hand (audio) that it should be after A B, and on the other hand that it should be before B C (in the transcript). This makes no sense for MAXQDA, which is why the option to insert a timestamp will be greyed out (I think this is what you are refering to by "Curiously the button "New Time mark (f6)" was never activated so I could never use it.")

This makes sense. The problem is, this is not how MaxQDA actually behaves. I can reproducably show you various instances where my cursor is positioned like this but the F6 option is still not available:

Audiofile: A X B C

I am wondering whether this has something to do with the fact that I am working with an imported transcript? It seems like when I create the timestamps in MaxQDA they work like you describe, but not when those time stamps were created when importing the transcript.

I also noticed that when importing a transcript with time stamps from Transana, the time stamps are not properly removed from the actual text but they are merely replaced by some whitespace at the beginning of the paragraph. If I delete that whitespace, it also (and inreversibly!) deletes the time stamp.
chaug

Return to Technical Questions