MaxDictio Word Frequency Window Position

05.09.2018, 20:26

I am getting frequent situations with MaxDictio Word Frequency and Word Combinations in which the input selection screen and results screens are positioned high and to the left on the screen so that some fields are no longer on the screen, and the window cannot be repositioned.

In some cases, especially the results screens, dragging the bottom edge makes it pop the window banner down and can be repositioned, but in other cases the window is positioned off screen and several fields are not visible.

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Windows 7
mloxton

Re: MaxDictio Word Frequency Window Position

06.09.2018, 08:48

Dear Matthew,

thank you for telling us about this! I had another customer a few days ago who reported the same on Windows 7. I personally encountered this a few times while working with MAXQDA and other software in the last years, but the problem always resolved itself somehow..

We have now tried to reproduce this error on our Windows 7 PC by various means (pluggin off the second monitor, changing screen resolution, minimizing/maximizing etc.), but we didn't manage to conjure up this error once.. now I've googled the issue and it seems to be more or less widespread and not application-specific:

https://www.technipages.com/bring-off-screen-window-back-onto-screen

One cause they say is not exiting the program properly. The solution is rearraging the window by holding down the windows-key and pressing an arrow key at the same time (it's also my favourite windows-feature). Something that should also help because the window position gets set back is setting back the user settings:

1) Press the windows-key + R and enter the following path: %APPDATA%\MAXQDA2018
2) Delete the files "MAXQDA2018.ini" and (if existing) "MAXQDA2018.ini.LOCK"

This will not delete any of your data – only the list of recently opened projects will be cleared, window arrangements reset, and entered search terms in the lexical search will be deleted.

Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Return to Technical Questions