MAXQDA

Category disappears in creative coding

03.09.2018, 17:11

Please help: When I try to open ‘creative coding’ to organise my codes, one of the groups including multiple codes does not appear.

See the attached screenshot, where the left hand window shows what I see when I’m coding (correct) but the right side (overlaid window) shows the codes available in creative coding – one of them ‘Pedagogy’ is missing in the latter, which includes multiple sub-codes.

What’s happening?

Jason

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Windows 10
Attachments
category disappeared in creative coding.png
category disappeared in creative coding.png (46.67 KiB) Viewed 24121 times
JasonA

Re: Category disappears in creative coding

04.09.2018, 08:57

Dear Jason,

Thank you for contacting us! I'm sorry to hear you experience such a strange phenomenon. I think I never saw a category vanish like that from creative coding before, but I'm optimistic that we will get to the bottom of that.

Let me first ask my favorite question: Are you opening your project file from a local hard drive, or from a USB-stick, external hard drive, network folder, or from a folder that's being kept synchronized with a cloud service?

One common cause for all kinds of issues results from not opening the project file from a local hard drive, but from a network ressource, USB-stick, external hard drive, or from a folder that's being kept synchronized with a cloud service. Since MAXQDA is a database program, all changes get saved automatically. If however the connection gets interrupted, this can lead to errors in the database structure. This is why we strongly recommend to always open the project file from a local hard drive. (You can save it anywhere you want of course, this is just about opening.)

Please also make sure that you have the most recent MAXQDA version installed. To find out whether this is the case, please navigate to the little question mark in the top right corner (MAXQDA 2018), and select "Search for updates".

The most direct way for us to investigate this matter, would be to have a look at your project file, and try to reproduce this error. Would it be possible for you to send it to us? Of course, we treat the data of our customers strictly confidentially.

For the case that it is possible, I'll send you an upload link via mail shortly. If it isn't, let's start with the all time favorite advice of any technical support: Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again (restarting the program)? If so, we could try to reset user settings, and see if that helps:

1) Press the windows-key + R and enter the following path: %APPDATA%\MAXQDA2018
2) Delete the files "MAXQDA2018.ini" and (if existing) "MAXQDA2018.ini.LOCK"

This will not delete any of your data – only the list of recently opened projects will be cleared, window arrangements reset, and entered search terms in the lexical search will be deleted.

After that, we could set up a new database structure for your project, to see if that helps:

1) Create a new project file and save it on your local hard drive (e.g. your desktop)
2) Go to the "Home"-tab, and select "Merge projects" (all the way to the right)
3) Select your existing project file and merge them

This will reinitialize the database structure of your project file.

After that, I would need to head over to the programmers and ask for advice, so I'll wait for your response first.

Kind regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
Andreas V.

04.09.2018, 08:58

Well, it seems I’ve solved my own problem. Under Pedagogy I had 3 lower levels. Once I reduced this to 2, the codes reappeared. I even tried creating 3 under a different Code, and the same problem happened – the whole group disappeared in Creative Coding. An annoying limitation. Any way to allow for 3 lower levels or more?
Best,
Jason
JasonA

04.09.2018, 09:06

Ah okay, thank you very much for sharing this! It sounds like a built-in limitation that occurs because you can't integrate any code on a level beyond the second one in creative coding. I will ask the programmers about this and add the removal of this limitation to the wishlist.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you, and thanks again for sharing the solution—it will save me some time the next time something like this should happen.

Kind regards,

Andreas
Andreas V.

22.07.2019, 08:34

Hi,
I have same kind of problem. I used a first time creative coding, and now I can not use it a second time to make other modifications.
The codes I have already modified don’t appear anymore in creative coding!
I tried the different solution proposed and it hasn’t changed anything.
Any idea?

Thanks
Attachments
max3.jpg
on the left side are all my codes , and on the right side, the codes that appear in creative coding
max3.jpg (115.53 KiB) Viewed 21570 times
alex-unistra

23.07.2019, 16:36

Hello,
Do I understand you correctly that the modifications you had made in Creative Coding were not transferred to the code system? Did you click "yes" to the question "Apply code structure to your code system?" that appears in the dialogue box after you quit Creative Coding?

When you write "I used a first time creative coding, and now I can not use it a second time to make other modifications", do you mean you cannot open the feature (Creative Coding)? Does the program crash? If so, you are welcome to contact our Online Support Team via sending a message here: https://www.maxqda.com/help-support/onlinesupport

I hope this helps! If not, please feel free to contact us again.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Aikokul
Aikokul

10.08.2021, 06:19

I have the same problem. I was doing some intensive creative coding and a day later I discovered that an entire category went missing. I'm worried I can't trust creative coding now. Any thoughts?

Ben
waiheke123

10.08.2021, 14:22

Dear Ben,

Thank you for posting here. Do we understand correctly that the code is now not displayed in Creative coding anymore? Or are they missing from the Code System?

Would it be possible for you to contact our support team directly? You can contact them via the following form:
https://www.maxqda.com/help-support/onlinesupport

Kind regards on behalf of MAXQDA,
Maren
MAXQDA support team
Maren_eng

Return to Technical Questions