Code frequencies and line width in MAXMaps

18.08.2018, 15:36

Hello again,

I have been working with a code system in which no segments are assigned to intermediate codes. It means that, if I created subcodes specifying better what is on in my data relative to that topic, then I saw no point in leaving segments "floating" in the parent code.

While the Code system keeps showing accurately this structure - I can see the total number of subcodes within a higher level code when I reduce my code structure (i.e. the parent code shows the sum of the children's codes), the same logic does not apply to MAXMaps. For instance, a model created in MAXMaps starting with a parent code and then importing manually the children codes will keep setting a very tiny line to the children even though they may have themselves numerous children.

I will try to illustrate my question with a fictive example to make my point clearer. Imagine you have a code A, two subcodes A1 (with 5 segments) and A2 (with no segment). In its turn, A2 has three subcodes A21, A22 and A23 with 9, 8 and 2 segments respectively. Clearly the topic A2 is numerically more important than A1 if you consider the subcodes, however my map keeps showing the connection line between A and A1 stronger than A2, and the number 0 after A2 if the option "Code frequencies" is activated.

(a) Is there a manner to adjust the width of the line connecting A and A2 to 19 (i.e. 9 + 8 + 2) and adjust automatically all the other line widths proportionally (i.e. A-A1 should be something like 5/19 of the former)?
(b) Can I tell MAXMaps to inform in brackets after A2 19 instead of 0?

Many thanks

TGR

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Windows 10
TGR

Re: Code frequencies and line width in MAXMaps

21.08.2018, 14:36

Hi TGR,

thank you for sharing this insight. I think I understand what you mean – to summarize, the line strength in MAXMaps should allow reflext aggregated frequencies for subcodes, right? I think this is a good idea for future improvements – right now, I'm quite sure this isn't integrated. I'll move it to the "Feature Requests" section soon if you don't object.

Kind regards

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

21.08.2018, 17:54

Thanks Andreas, I think it is a good idea to include it as a feature request.

With regard to question (b), do you think there is a manner to change the number of aggregate subcodes manually?

TGR
TGR

22.08.2018, 15:41

I'm not entirely sure what model you are refering to, but some of them show the number in the middle of the connecting line, are you refering to that? If so, then yes: You can change this number manually by clicking on the line and activating the "Properties"-window (at the top, right next to "List of Maps"). There, in the properties-tab to the right, the number is in the "Label"-window. Hope this was what you meant?
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Return to Technical Questions