Using source info of coded segments to return to page

03.08.2018, 14:11

Hi

This essentially concerns navigating pdfs vis source information- Here goes:

I would like to return easily to a part of a document that has previously been coded. Particularly I am interested in using the source information outside of the retrieved segments window. Example for a coded segment i have a link, which I also get when I choose to export with source info, something like 17: 2819 - 17: 3594 (0) RED but how do I get back to this location again without finding the particular code and document?

For large PDFs I often want to easily trace a coded segment in order to reference the actual page number where the code was applied. The source info is useless for PDFs since it doesn't give me either the absolute nor the relative page number of the PDF. Therefore I would like at least to be able to return to the page where I applied a code without having t search for words in the text. At the moment when not in a 'retrieved segment view' I can only think of using the source "code" (as exemplified above) to return to the particular segment of the text, but how?

Kind regards
Peter

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
hibmathbergen

Re: Using source info of coded segments to return to page

16.08.2018, 10:40

Okay, so I see now that the first part of the source code before the ':' does, in fact, refer to the absolute page number. I could then find the page via bookmarks under pdf. However, I still wish there was a "go to page"/ "go to segment" dialogue in maxqda since this information is already available in the source information, but not (easily) "actionable".
hibmathbergen

20.08.2018, 10:44

Hi Peter,

thanks for your question!

Particularly I am interested in using the source information outside of the retrieved segments window.

Well, as you have noted in your second post, the source information for PDFs contains both the page number and the number of characters. Since paragraph recognition is not available for PDFs for technical reason, I'm pretty sure it will necessarily stay like this, but I also fail to see the problem with that in regard to referencing..?

However, I still wish there was a "go to page"/ "go to segment" dialogue in maxqda since this information is already available in the source information, but not (easily) "actionable".

Well, in the "Retrieved Segments Window", you can just click on the blue info-box. That will make the "Document Browser" jump immediately to the respective segment. You can see how it works here:

https://youtu.be/hJhBK3CDF9U?t=458

I hope this is what you're looking for? If not, please don't hesitate to ask again!

Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

28.08.2018, 12:22

Thank you for the reply.

The source info of an exported segment is what I am referring to. Thus for many exported segments I might at a later point want to easily jump to page 200 of a large pdf document, to a particular section I have codede, how can i do that without having to go via the code- would be easy if there was a "go to page x" dialogue possibly even a particular line, i mean the source info is connected to a particular place in the text right, otherwise MAXQDA would not know what the hyperlink in the segment window pointed to?

Referencing is not easy in PDFs since the page number is an absolute page number which cannot be offset according to there being a 'front page' or 'list of content' or if an article in PDF form begins on page "1000" within a journal. That means that for each coded segment one has to jump to the segment in the pdf and find the actual (journal) page number when one is referencing in academic work.

Hope this clears things up- thanks again.

Peter
hibmathbergen

30.08.2018, 15:56

Well, you can use the "bookmark"-symbol at the "Document Browser" tool bar at the top. If there are no predefined bookmarks, that will allow you to jump directly to a page. In regard to your second point, I know what you mean.. I have very rarely seen a journal article where the actual page numbers visiable at the footer of each page match the technical ones.. but I'm afraid I don't have a solution for this issue either.
Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

02.09.2018, 10:09

Sure one can scroll through the bookmarks fairly quickly, but why not just enter a number e.g. page 200- I work with large documents :wink:
Wouldnt it be possible to define bookmarks for a pdf, and maybe show them as an overlay. Thus I would manually define from which page a document started, define where the foreword, the front page etc. was. would make the excerpts a lot more useful.

Thanks for all your responses and good work- I do love this software, best work tool I have!
Peter
hibmathbergen

03.09.2018, 12:45

Hi Peter,
thanks for you feedback, always good to hear :-)

Yes, there are a few programs that allow to add bookmarks. The industry standard is Adobe Acrobat of course, but my colleague just showed me that adding bookmarks is also possible with the "Foxit Reader" (the engine of which we also use in MAXQDA, it's a pretty fast one). You can download it here:

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-reader/

After opening the PDF with it, you can see a bookmark symbol to the left (see screenshot below), and there is also an "Add Bookmark"-icon. It will add a bookmark at the position which you can currently see in the reader.

There are also other free programs with which this works supposedly (LibreOffice also enables editing PDFs, but I couldn't find the "Add bookmark"-option there), but this one seems to me to be the most user friendly one.
Attachments
FOXIT.png
FOXIT.png (808 KiB) Viewed 7868 times
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

04.09.2018, 07:52

I actually don't know why I didn't think of that. Simple and good- Thank you!
Any outlook on having a tighter integration with the functionality of Foxit reader e.g. being able to import highlights and use features like these bookmarking ?

Kind regards
Peter
hibmathbergen

04.09.2018, 09:11

Sure, happy to help!
I can't really say when and how further PDF-features will be added (I'm not part of the development team, and even they can't always say when a feature will be integrated exactly ;) ), but I'll add both feature requests to our wishlist if they aren't there already. Thanks for the suggestions!
Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Return to Technical Questions