Using Bibliographical data

30.07.2018, 22:51

MaxQDA12 includes functionality to import and export bibliographical data as RIS files, but it is unclear how these data can be associated with an imported document.

For example, if I import the RIS data for the following paper:
TY - JOUR
AU - Rooke, John
AU - Sapountzis, Stylianos
AU - Koskela, Koskela
N1 - Added to JabRef: 2018.07.27
T1 - LEAN KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT: THE PROBLEM OF VALUE
Y1 - 2010

But then I import the pdf document to which this data refers: 2010_Lean_knowledge_mgmnt_the_problem_of_value.pdf

It is unclear how I can associate the bibliographic document to the pdf .

Secondly, if import a new pdf, how do I add its bibliographical data so that exporting the RIS file will now contain this additional record?

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Windows 10
mloxton

Re: Using Bibliographical data

31.07.2018, 11:42

You can connect PDFs and their respective RIS-documents by creating document links:

https://www.maxqda.com/help-max18/links/document-links

Secondly, if import a new pdf, how do I add its bibliographical data so that exporting the RIS file will now contain this additional record?

The only way to add bibliographical data is to use the following import procedure:

https://www.maxqda.com/help-max18/import/importing-bibliographical-data-from-endnote-etc

So it's probably best to do this for many entries at once.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Andreas Veltens
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

31.07.2018, 21:54

Thanks Andreas, that was helpful.

One thing still puzzles me - if I import a bibliographical record of a specific paper, and then import that paper's pdf, the variables for the pdf include the (empty) bibliographical fields, but there doesn't seem to be a way to automatically populate the paper's bibliographical fields.

Conversely, if I manually populate the bibliographical variables of a pdf document, there doesn't seem to be a way to export that as a RIS file.

It would be nice to export a RIS of all the imported papers, etc.

-M
mloxton

02.08.2018, 09:58

Thanks, I will pass this on to our development/feedback team!
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Return to Technical Questions