MAXQDA

Merge function - doesn't seem to be merging properly

Moderator: srueger

Merge function - doesn't seem to be merging properly

24.07.2018, 11:17

I’m having some trouble with using the merge function to enable people to work on multiple versions of a project before bringing them together. When I use the merge function it doesn’t seem to merge the coding. For some reason it'll transfer across any new code categories that have been made, but not any actual coding that's been done on the documents.

Has anybody else had this problem ideas and know how to sort it/know how we can work on different versions of the project and merge it all together?

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Windows 10
ToriC

Re: Merge function - doesn't seem to be merging properly

24.07.2018, 12:48

Dear ToriC,
thanks for the question and welcome to the MAXQDA forum! No, haven't had that problem myself, but we'll get to the bottom of this. First question: Do the documents have an identical name in both projects? Otherwise MAXQDA doesn't know where to put those codings. Does it occur with all documents, or just with some of them?

If the name of the documents are not the issue here, then I think the most direct way to solve this mystery would be to have a look at the project file(s) in question, and try to reproduce this error here. If this is possible for you, I'll send you a link as PM for you to upload the files.

Kind regards,

Andreas
Andreas V.

20.08.2018, 09:22

Yes all documents have identical name- the documents were all imported into the original project file, and then my colleague and I each took a copy. The idea was that we could work separately and merge it together but its not working. The merge lets the new coding categories come across, but none of the coded segments transfer.
As far as I can see it occurs with all documents, it's hard to fully check as I can't look at the two MAXQDA files side by side.
ToriC

21.08.2018, 14:45

Uhm... I'm really sorry ToriC, it looks like I have misinformed you. I was quite sure it works this way, but apparently I mixed something up – I also get a new document with the same name, instead of a merged one.

However, to merge the coded segments of a document is fairly simply by using the "Teamwork Export/Import"-features:

1) Rightclick on the document in question (from which you want to transfer the coded segments into the other project file) and select "Teamwork Export"
2) In the new project file, right-click on the document where you want to add the coded segments from the other project, select "Teamwork Import", and select the file you have imported in Step 1)

I hope this was what you are looking for? We also have a special section about Teamwork, just in case you want read a bit further:

https://www.maxqda.com/help-max18/teamwork/can-maxqda-support-teamwork

Sorry again for the confusion!

Kind regards,

Andreas
Andreas V.

07.06.2021, 23:27

I had the same issue - merging either completely crashed everything, or if I stripped my filed completely down would duplicate documents despite the same doc names. When I try teamwork, it comes up with an error message about 'documents not identical - import anyway'? I have 5000 documents so I can't click 'yes' 5000 times!

I'm so sick of these issues :(
Carozd

10.06.2021, 15:38

Hi Carozd,

I guess, the teamwork issue has been solved now. Good luck with your research!

Best regards from MAXQDA

Support Team
Aikokul

Return to Technical Questions