Grounded Theory[open, axial, and selective coding] in Maxqda

Grounded Theory[open, axial, and selective coding] in Maxqda

28.05.2018, 10:54

[ Dear all,
I have two questions for your consideration:
In my study, I have both male and female participants. However, regarding the same theme like ‘equality,’ I asked each interviewee not only to describe its view but also how S/he thinks the other gender thinks about the topic. So, in the coding process, I am a bit confused if I need to make different categories like following:
- Men’s perception of the equality
- Men’s perception of women’s thinking on the equality
- Women’s perception of the equality
- Women’s perception of men’s thinking on the equality
or to make two general categories that include only men and women’s perceptions of the equality? The issue with having four categories is to involve many common codes in each category.

My second question is about the implementation of grounded theory in Maxqda? I am analyzing my research data benefiting from grounded theory approach. Using the Maxqda 2018, I have been identifying the in-vivo codes and subcodes as I assume it as the open coding in the grounded theory. However, for the advanced analysis and making the axial and selective coding, I have no idea how to proceed with it.
I am wondering if there are guiding manuals or online tutorials that can help me to learn how to apply grounded theory coding via Maxqda?

With so many thanks,

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Mac OS X 10.13 (High Sierra)
SMM

Re: Grounded Theory[open, axial, and selective coding] in Ma

31.05.2018, 13:07

Hello SMM, I think in response to your first question a good solution would be to assign each document a variable for the participant's gender. That way, you would only need two codes: self-perception; and perception of the other gender's perception. You could then activate documents by variable and conduct your analysis that way.
caledavis

Return to Technical Questions