Working on the same project at the same time

24.05.2018, 09:23

Dear all
Me and my team are having problem in accessing to the same MAXQDA project at the same time. We are using MAXQA 12 that runs on a remote server, and that used to allow up to 2 people to work on the same project simoultaneously. This has no longer been possible over the last two weeks, just one person can enter and work on the project.
We need help!
thanks a lot
DC

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Windows 10
daniela cherubini

Re: Working on the same project at the same time

24.05.2018, 09:59

Dear Daniela,

uhm well, to make it short: working on the same project file simultaneously should not be possible, was never planned by the programmers, and I therefore really can't recommend to do it. What I can highly recommend instead is opening the project file only from a local hard drive. Let me elaborate:

One common cause for all kinds of issues results from not opening the project file from a local hard drive, but from a network ressource, USB-stick or from a folder that's being kept synchronized with a cloud service. Since MAXQDA is a database program, all changes get saved automatically. If however the connection gets interrupted, this can lead to errors in the database structure. This is why we strongly recommend to always open the project file from a local hard drive. (You can save it anywhere you want of course, this is just about opening.)

I'm a bit surprised this worked so far, but I guess when you don't change the same code or work on the same document, maybe it's not an immediate desaster. But it looks like one in the making, so I can only suggest to switch to another workflow with creating local copies (maybe add the date to the file name), that way, you'll also have backups, which is always good. Here is the chapter about teamwork:

https://www.maxqda.com/help-max18/teamwork/can-maxqda-support-teamwork

Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas II.

28.05.2018, 12:23

Dear Andreas
thank you very much.

We already discussed the issue of how we organized our work environment. We installed Maxqda on a remote windows server provided by our university; each team member always works on this shared platform and not on his/her personal computer.
until the moment, it was possible to enter and work on the same Max project up to two people at once. Now it is no longer possible.
Anyway, given these technical limits and problems, we will split the projects in different parts, one for each team member, and we will make a merge at the end of the analysis.
It is a pity because we choose Max instead of other softwares because we understood it allowed teamwork and synch options.

Thank you for your help
bests
daniela cherubini

28.05.2018, 16:11

Dear Daniela,

thank you as well for your feedback! I know this is already on the wishlist for some time now, but from what I understand it's much more complicated to program this then one would think (like the Undo-Button, that was also months of work although it doesn't look like it). I hope you find working with multiple files not so bad once your team gets used to it.

Good luck with your project!
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas II.

18.06.2018, 08:12

Thank you !
daniela cherubini

Return to Technical Questions