Word doc won't open and now I can't get back into my file

Word doc won't open and now I can't get back into my file

05.04.2018, 12:22

Hi there,
I have a problem opening MAXQDA 18 again after a word doc would not open. MAXQDA crashed trying to open the document in document browser and now I can't get the file open again. I have identified the file problem - I think the word doc I uploaded was too large. This can be easily fixed by removing the doc and changing it to a different format but the problem is that MAXQDA will not load the file at all - it just keeps crashing every time I try. I have resorted to working on a back-up version for now but would like to be able to open the original file so I don't lose what I did yesterday. Is there a way of bypassing the persistent crashing?
Thanks, Katy.

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Windows 10
KathrynWheeler

Re: Word doc won't open and now I can't get back into my fil

05.04.2018, 12:40

Dear Katy,

Thank you for contacting us and welcome to the MAXQDA forum! The fastest way to help you here would be to have a look at the project file in question, and to remove this document manually from the database. Would it be possible for you to send it to us? If so, I would like to ask you to use our support form right here:

https://www.maxqda.com/help-support/onlinesupport#Kontaktieren

It allows you to attach your project file, and we would also have the necessary information in regard to operating system, version used etc.

One important thing to avoid errors in general is to always open the project file from your local hard drive, and not from USB-sticks, cloud-synchronized folder or network ressources (although you can save them there of course, this is just about opening it).

There is also a trick that can be used to repair such project files in case you want to try it for yourself:

1) Create a new project file
2) Go to "Merge project files" in the "Home" tab (on the right side)
3) Select your corrupted project file

Sometimes this helps as well. Otherwise I (or our database expert) will open the database using a SQL-tool and remove the problematic entry.

Just out of curiousity: How large was this word-document? Was there anything unusual about it? Did it have tables?

I've seen pretty big docx-files in MAXQDA projects (like our manual for example with ~500 pages and lots of images), and if it's not really extreme, it still should work fine. So it would be interesting to know why it didn't in your case.

Please feel free to contact us in case of any further questions.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

05.04.2018, 18:33

Thanks so much for your help. The merge project fix worked for me. The word doc was quite large (29,323 kb) and had lots of screen shot images. But an earlier version of MAXQDA handled It fine. I've just converted it to a pdf and that doesn't seem to be causing any problems. It's just reminded me of the importance of backing up regularly!
I really appreciate your help,
Katy.
KathrynWheeler

06.04.2018, 10:37

Sure, I'm happy it worked! Thanks for your feedback! =)
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Return to Technical Questions