Manually Allocate External Files

01.04.2018, 15:34

I have a text file stored on a server. My MAXQDA file is stored locally on my laptop.

Is it possible to import the text file into MAXQDA as an external file without duplicating or moving the text file?

In other words, I do not want this text file stored locally on my laptop; I only want to be able to access it when I am connected to the server. There are various reasons for this concerning data management.

Thanks in advance!

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Mac OS X 10.13 (High Sierra)
caledavis

Re: Manually Allocate External Files

04.04.2018, 14:59

Hello caledavis,

so to be sure I understand you correctly: when you open your local MAXQDA project, you want MAXQDA to access a text file that's stored externally, without creating/working on a local duplicate that's stored inside the MAXQDA project file. So that when you edit the text file on the server, it's going to be different inside of MAXQDA the next time you open it. Right?

If this is your goal, then I'm afraid it is not possible for normal text files to be imported like that. It would probably also mess up all the codings if you add a paragraph or delete one outside of MAXQDA without MAXQDA being able to adjust the database file.

Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Re: Manually Allocate External Files

08.04.2018, 13:56

Thanks Andreas, I can understand the rationale behind why this is not a good idea!
I have found a suitable workaround (just storing my confidential materials in a separate MAXQDA file located on a secure server).
caledavis

Return to Technical Questions