Simple word documents failing to import

16.01.2018, 13:45

New to the program, and currently using trial version to see if I would like to purchase, but experiencing problems right from the word go. More specifically, I am attempting to import 60 word documents, but less than half are actually uploading. For those that fail to upload, I am prompted with a window which says 'The following documents could not be imported'. Of these files, I seem to be able to drag some over individually, or they come through in other groupings I attempt to import, so there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which are successfully copying over and which are not. It seems to be random. Sometimes they import, sometimes they don't. What could be going on here?

A second issue I am having is that I am unable to delete multiple documents at once. I discovered this when trying to delete all documents so as to try to start over. Surely there must be a way to do this so users don't have to take so much time to individual delete documents?

Thanks

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Windows 10
tabithah

Re: Simple word documents failing to import

16.01.2018, 17:47

Hello tabithah,
welcome to the MAXQDA Forum! That's difficult to say without having the files here. Can you open them outside of MAXQDA? Are they all the same format (.rtf, .doc, .docx)? Do you have Word installed? Are they not saved on your local hard drive maybe (USB-stick, external harddrive, cloud service etc.)? Do they have special objects embedded?

If you want to use .doc or docx-files, you'll need to have Word installed. A fool proof way of importing your documents is to save them as .rtf or even .txt-files. These formats are quite resilient to any kind of errors.

The "insider-trick" to process multiple documents at once (until we have a better solution, which I believe is on the way) is to use the "Data Editor for Document Variables" (in the tab "Variables"). Here you can click on a cell, press CTRL (or CMD)+A to select all documents, then right-click and select "delete".
Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas II.

26.04.2018, 17:58

I do face the same problem. The files simply couldn't be imported a popup comes with a message "the following files could not be imported"
mmahundi

29.04.2018, 16:52

Someone please help. It just doesn't import. I am on maxQDA 2018
mmahundi

02.05.2018, 11:48

Dear mmahundi,

do you have Microsoft Word installed on your computer? Can you open those files with Word?
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas II.

Return to Technical Questions