transcribed text disappears!

20.12.2017, 05:38

New user -- trying to figure out how to use MaxQDA2018. Transcribing a video. And my work keeps getting deleted below the point where I'm trying to add text and/or timestamps. !!! I don't know what I'm doing when it disappears -- if I knew, then I could figure out what NOT to do. What makes all the text below a certain point disappear? And is there any way to recover it? I'm working on a single video, trying to learn how this software works, and I keep losing my work! Help!

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Mac OS X 10.12 (Sierra)
nvh

Re: transcribed text disappears!

21.12.2017, 16:31

Hello nvh,
first of all: welcome to the MAXQDA forum! I don't know (yet) what is happening, but I'm optimistic that we will find it out. When you say "text below a certain point", do you have any idea what point that is? I mean is there something more specific about where text gets deleted? Might it have to do with highlighting a segment?
Usually when you transcribe, the cursor is right at the end of the text. So the question is why and how text above this point would bet deleted. Maybe you incidentally touch the trackpad on your laptop?

And YES, there is a way to recover it: press the CMD-Key and "Z". That will undo the last step(s).
Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

21.12.2017, 23:02

Are you running MaxQDA from the applications folder? Also, where is the file being saved?

My current research:

http://www.FredSahakian.com

Toolkit: Bookends, MaxQDA, PDF Expert, IA Writer, MindNode, OmniFocus, SwiftText, DEVONthink, Alfred, and ClipMenu
FredS

06.02.2018, 19:22

The system ONCE AGAIN deleted, in this case, my ENTIRE transcription.

And cmd-Z did NO good.

See attached screenshot -- there WAS text next to each of those timestamps.

AND it will not let me enter text in the screen in this screenshot! So I have not only lost my work, but it won't let me re-do it. WHAT THE HELL?

Nor can I quit MaxQDA! "Quit" is grayed out. I have to force quit. !!???!!?

I'm ready to ask for my money back. This software is unreliable and the documentation stinks. If I could find out what I'm doing...but no, documentation is useless.
:evil:

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 10.09.04 AM.png[/attachment]
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 10.09.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 10.09.04 AM.png (88.67 KiB) Viewed 8204 times
nvh

Keep line counting intact once imported

07.02.2018, 14:41

Hello,
New user. For a word document, is there a way to keep the line numbering intact (visible) once it has been imported into MAXQDA? The software counts paragraphs and I would like to keep track of actual lines of transcribed text. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

AE
academe33

07.02.2018, 15:06

Dear nvh,

as someone who knows how tedious transcribing can be, I'm truely sorry to hear about what happened! While after your first post I suspected that this was an operating error (e.g., when you mark a segment and click somewhere else, sometimes it happens that people move/delete the segment instead of deselecting without realising it), I now believe FredS asked the most important question: Where is the .mx18-file saved? On a cloud storage, local network or USB-drive? From my experience, in 99% of all the times where data is lost, not opening the project file from the local network is the reason for this. This is because MAXQDA is a database-program (like Microsoft Access for example) that saves every change automatically. When there is no connection to the project-file however (even for a second), it can lead to painful errors suchs as the one you have experienced. We have built in warnings for cases where people try to open a project file from somwhere but their local hard drives, I do not know why they apparently did not work in your case..

If this should not be the reason, we would be very grateful if we could have a look at the project and audio-files in question. Then we could try to reproduce the error and fix it.

Again, I'm sorry for what happened. I sincerely hope everything works fine from now on.

Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

07.02.2018, 15:26

Dear AE,

yes, that is possible. To do so, proceed in the following manner (but better read it first):

1) Duplicate the document in question first. The fastest way to do so is to press CTRL+A in the document browser to mark all of the text, and then simply drag the selection into the "Document System" to create a new document.
2) After opening the new (duplicated) document in the document browser, activate the EDIT-mode, then press CTRL+A again to mark all of the text, right-click on the selection, and select "Convert to line numbered text". This will split your existing paragraphs into new ones. You can specify the length of those new paragraphs (=lines) by setting the number of characters each line has.

IMPORTANT: For technical reasons, you can always make the lines shorter, but you can't make them longer again. So I would suggest to start with e.g. 120 characters per line, and make it smaller starting from there. (This is also the reason why I recommend to make a duplicate first.) Of course you could also count how many characters the lines of your word-document contains to make them similar.

Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

11.12.2018, 16:30

Hello,

I just wanted to put it out there that we had a similar issue to the one described by nvh. The project file we were working on was located on an external USB HDD, and we worked on it on mostly from the portable version of MAXQDA installed on Windows, and another installed Pro license (Windows). I haven't noticed when the transcripts disappeared, but it seems to have happened when opening the file on a Macbook (Portable), then re-opening it in Windows. The Macbook won't open the file anymore, giving an error message stating that the file is not complete, whereas Windows opens the file without the transcripts. Oddly enough, the coding work and corresponding preview text from the transcript is there, even though the transcripts aren't.

In any case, MAXQDA made backup files, so the work isn't gone, and we always have transcripts in text document formats.

Sinisa.
sinisa

11.12.2018, 18:18

Hello Sinisa,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It sounds like the project file has been opened directly from the external drive, then the connection between this drive and the PC was interrupted for a moment, which probably led to (parts of) the data not being saved correctly. The solution is to always open the project file only from a local hard drive, then this shouldn't occur again.

Kind regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas Veltens
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

19.06.2019, 16:54

Hello,
Yesteday I created a text document within MAXQDA with several pages. Today all the lines disappeared except the first nine ones. However, i can see the segments from any code I click on. Virtually the document turned into a white page (except nine lines), but codes are still connected to now invisible paragraphs.

How is this possible ? I'm new to MAXQDA and i question the reliability of this software. Thank you for your answer.
merovic

24.06.2019, 14:11

Dear merovic,

Thank you for letting us know about this issue! We are sorry to hear about (potential) loss of data, but maybe there is still something we can do about it. Have you maybe opened your project file not from a local hard drive, but from a network resource, USB flash drive, external hard drive, or from a folder that's being kept synchronized with a cloud service?

One common cause for all kinds of issues results from not opening the project file from a local hard drive, but from a network resource, USB flash drive, external hard drive, or from a folder that's being kept synchronized with a cloud service. Since MAXQDA is a database program, all changes get saved automatically. If however the connection gets interrupted, this can lead to errors in the database structure. This is why we strongly recommend to always open the project file from a local hard drive. (You can save it anywhere you want of course, this is just about opening.)

If this applies here, it might be that the project file got damaged. Then the most direct way to address this issue would be for us to create a new database structure for your project file and/or restore the document(s) in question. Would it be possible for you to send us your project file? If so, you can use the following support form to send us the project file:

https://www.maxqda.de/online-support

This way we also have all the other relevant information (operating system, MAXQDA version etc.) in order to address this issue. As 'message' you could simply copy your text from above. If the project file is too large, please still create a ticket, and we'll send you an upload link afterward.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

26.06.2019, 22:13

Thank you Andreas. I'm solving the issue with the support team.
merovic

Return to Technical Questions