MaxQDA 2018 crashing repeatedly

18.12.2017, 19:53

Hello,
I am on a Surface Pro (Newest version), I7, 8 gigs of ram, running the most current version of MaxQDA 2018, and with my first data set for my dissertation, the software will only run for 2 min or so before crashing.

Help! I have much more data to import before I start analyzing, but this does not give me great confidence for the analysis phase.

The current data set is an excel table 6100 rows long of tweets. Some of the data is variables (names, dates) some is qualitative (tweet content).

Is this data set too big? How can I get it not to crash after 2 minutes?

MAXQDA
Version: MAXQDA Analytics Pro 2018 (Release 18.0.2, Build 171214)
Language: ENG
Big Font: false

LICENSE
MAXQDA Analytics Pro 18 Student

COMPUTER
Name:
Processor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9, GenuineIntel
Virtual Desktop: no
Primary Monitor: 0
Monitor 0: 2736x1824 [0, 0]
High-Resolution: yes (DPR = 2)

OPERATING SYSTEM & SOFTWARE
Name: Windows 10 x64
Language: English
Font: MS Shell Dlg 2,7.875,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
Microsoft Word: 16.0

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Windows 10
gwaddell

Update to problem

19.12.2017, 03:29

I won't say it is solved, but I think I made headway.

I had a column that was dates, but it was formatted date and time. I deleted the times, so that only dates were in the cells.
I also reduced the number of variables by 3, so there are now only 15 variables. I also found 5 rows that had Asian characters in them (they should not have been part of the data set, so I deleted them). This is twitter data, imported as a survey (6110 rows long).

At this point, the program is running well, no crashing. I am not sure why the program would crash with the data set prior to the small changes I made, but it was. At one point, I loaded it, did not do anything, and it crashed after several minutes.

I believe something in the data set was causing it, and one of the small changes I made corrected it.
gwaddell

Re: MaxQDA 2018 crashing repeatedly

19.12.2017, 07:43

Im wondering if there's some corruption in there. Would saving it as a CSV file would help or is even possible? And then import it?

My current research:

http://www.FredSahakian.com

Toolkit: Bookends, MaxQDA, PDF Expert, IA Writer, MindNode, OmniFocus, SwiftText, DEVONthink, Alfred, and ClipMenu
FredS

19.12.2017, 16:00

Thank you, gwadell, for telling us about this issue, and especially for sharing your problem solving with us, that's very valuable! Needless to say that crashes like this should definitely not occur. I have forwarded your entire proceedings to our programmers, hopefully they will find out what is going on soon.

What I can already say is that we recommend to limit the length of tables to 1000 rows to increase the perfomance. So if you can split your tables, that could already help.

Am I right to understand that now, after you've made the changes you described, everything works normal again?
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

17.01.2018, 18:58

I have had a similar problem, so I post here.

I only downloaded MaxQDA2018 (after previously getting MaxQDA 12) 2 days ago. Since then:

2018.1.16, 2:30 pm, around. Crashed during transcription of first 3 min. This was not true! - https://www.maxqda.com/faq/how-can-i-save-my-project

2018.1.16, 4:30 pm For the second time, ‘quit unexpectedly’ (but luckily, previously done work was saved).
2018.1.17, 8:47 am 'Quit unexpectedly.' (Error message to this effect appears). Luckily work was saved.
2018.1.17: 10:28 am Quit (with no error message) - while doing audio transcription, the programme just shut down, my transcription work was NOT saved.
2018.1.17: 10:30 am Quit - while I was writing in the log book, the programme shut down, my writing in the logbook was NOT saved.
Afterwards, my transcription proceeded OK, but because of the above, I save on a backup file repeatedly, anxious about losing a ton of transcription.

Something seems really wrong since I haven't done anything but do what MaxQDA instructs, for transcribing audio.

I am using a Macbook Pro laptop.
teacake

17.01.2018, 19:11

Teacake, do you have apps running in the background or even in the Mac menu bar? I ask because not long ago I had a really weird and rare conflict with two apps, and the one I had in the Mac menu was the culprit. There is a safe mode for Mac (I dont recall the keystrokes) that you can try from a restart and see if MaxQDA still crashes.

My current research:

Toolkit: Bookends, MaxQDA, PDF Expert, IA Writer, MindNode, OmniFocus, SwiftText, DEVONthink, Alfred, and ClipMenu
FredS

18.01.2018, 05:46

Thanks for sharing your experience, I will try to check as you suggest, maybe it could narrow down where the problem is.

Maybe MaxQDA people could help users by narrowing down the type of co-running apps which are likely to trigger this kind of problem (there is a post that helpfully reminds users not to save files on cloud drives, for example).

But ultimately, it's not good if stable use of MaxQDA requires shutting off all other apps?
teacake

18.01.2018, 06:02

You're right about not having to turn off apps, no one should have to do that. In my case, I found the app and everything seemed to work fine afterward. That guilty app was soon fixed by the developer, I assume it was causing lots of other issues. Keep us posted please!

My current research:

FredS

18.01.2018, 06:04

Or maybe just delete MAXQDAand reinstall it? Maybe something didn't install right.

My current research:

FredS

22.01.2018, 11:30

Thanks teacake for lettings us know about those errors! And a special thanks to FredS for the tipps, I didn't know that other apps could interfere in this way... very good to know, I'll ask my colleagues about this at lunch.

It would also not hurt I guess to change to location of both project and audio file to your local hard drive, if you haven't done this already. Otherwise I would also re-install and delete the temporary user settings just to be sure:

1) Open the finder, press SHIFT + CMD + G, enter the following and click 'Ok':
~/Library/Preferences/MAXQDA 2018

2) Delete the files "MAXQDA2018.ini", "MAXQDA2018.ini.LOCK" (if present) and "MAXQDA2018.prp".

You could also save your .mx18-project file as a .mex-file, and re-import it into MAXQDA 2018 again. That will create the database-structure anew, maybe this helps.

Otherwise I have to say that it's a bit difficult to fix random crashes that are not reproducible. So any more information that could help us identify a cause is highly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

28.04.2018, 12:43

Hi there,

According to my own experience. crashes are more likely to happen when performing any operation in MAXQDA that require the retrieval of a high number of occurrences - and less linked to other apps running simultaneously.

At the moment, for instance, I cannot export the code system (it crashes everytime I go to Reports / Export / Code system).

Also avoid coding text segments when the "Edit modus" is activated. The hint is to use the "Edit modus" with absolute parsimony, turning it off as soon as you finished your editing.

Any other operations that may be related to crashes? Maybe we should initiate an extra thread "Operations related to crashes in MAXQDA 2018" to help the programmers?

TGR
TGR

02.05.2018, 17:17

Hi TGR,

thank you for sharing your observations! I completly agree with your first point and I also agree with your comment about the EDIT-mode, it's better not to code while in EDIT-mode in regard to performance.

That you can't export your code system however shouldn't be, I've never heard that. Can you export/open other excel-files, for example when you use the direct excel-export in the "Retrieved Segments" window? (Right next to the printer symbol?)

If so, I would suspect that something in regard to your excel-installation might be broken. If not, we should look into that!

Any other operations that may be related to crashes? Maybe we should initiate an extra thread "Operations related to crashes in MAXQDA 2018" to help the programmers?

Well, that's a very nice idea, but I'm afraid it would rather complicate things further.. there are lists of course for technical issues and possible improvements and so forth (used internally), but the whole process is quite dynamic, and I'd rather not have to update a thread collecting issues, since many of them also get their own thread.
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Return to Technical Questions