MAXQDA

How to see codes of ONLY one (or several) participants?

Moderator: srueger

How to see codes of ONLY one (or several) participants?

15.12.2017, 13:03

Hello.

Can not figure out this function. I have code system and several documents is document system, which are named by names of participats. Let's say - Linda, Marta and Johnatan.

I want to see only those codes (in code system) that belong to, let's say, Linda's case. So that ONLY Linda's codes in code system are dispalayed. How could I do that? When I select (activate case of Linda) nothing simiral happens in code system - I still see ALL codes of all participats, not only Linda's.

Thank you so much. Seems to be pretty simple function, but can not find how to do this.

thanks,
Jelena

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Mac OS X 10.12 (Sierra)
Jelena123

Re: How to see codes of ONLY one (or several) participants?

15.12.2017, 15:31

Hello Jelena,
thanks for the question and welcome to the MAXQDA Forum! To get a detailed list with all the codes that have been assigned to a particular document, including some statistics, just right-click on the document, and select "Overview Codes". Or use the feature "Code Frequencies" in the "Analysis" tab. To hide codes directly in the Code System that don't occur in the activated (documents) is not possible.

To look at all of the coded segments, just activate the document/case, and your entire Code System. Then all of those segments will appear in the "Retrieved Segments" window.

Kind regards,
Andreas
Andreas V.

15.12.2017, 17:50

Thank you, Andreas,

I know all functions that you reccomended. Ant what I need is what you say is impossible - to hide codes that are not in activated documents.

It could be reccomended to work on this function then. Not only me, but my collegue also would find this function helpful. What usually researcher wants to do is to work with just ONE case (not looking at the others), to code, to organize codes in this one case and only later to look at code system for all cases.

It seems pretty needed, that why we were looking for it intensively, not being able to believe that this function doesn't exist ;)
Jelena123

15.12.2017, 19:34

Thanks again, and yes, I can see your point and how that would be useful. I will pass this idea on, but I can't promise how and when hiding codes that don't occur e.g. in activated documents will be implemented. But I do hope the best.. To give some additional information for everyone who also wants to analyse single cases and wonders how to do this: besides the features mentioned above, the "Single-Case-Model" in MAXMaps (under visual tools) is a great way to quickly look at the codes occuring in a single document (you can also import the coded segments themselves by right-clicking on them, and selecting "Import coded text/image as label"), and the "Interactive Quote Matrix" can be used to re(assign) codes to segments as well. (Maybe we can integrate your idea there, as well.)
Thanks again for your great feedback!
Andreas V.

09.12.2020, 14:52

Apologies for reviving this 3 year old topic. I am struggling with the same issue, and wonder whether this has been solved since then, or if there's a workaround.

In my case, I would like to complete several phases of coding for each participant first, and only then start search for themes for each participant. Only then - i.e. after I've done this for each participant - do I want to look for connections between the different participants. Is this possible at all? It's basically the same question as Jelena had.

If the answer's no: should I create a separate project (or document group?) for each participant, and then merge the projects after I'm done analyzing? (And if so, how does one merge projects?)

Appreciate any guidance!
justincase

14.12.2020, 14:03

Hi!

Thank you for reviving this thread!

It is still not possible to set up a separate code system for individual documents, even in the latest MAXQDA version. The initial idea behind is that a code system refers to the entire project data, not to individual pieces of data. If you wish to have a "sub-code system" pertaining to one document, there is an option to create a parent code (category) per document (e.g. "CODES of Document 1"), which would entail the codes used in that very document. At the end of the first data reduction ( coding ) you will have as many parent codes as your documents. This way you can explore the coded data of individual documents separately. Then, if you want to investigate the code relationships across your documents, you can create new codes, where you copy coded segments from all similar codes existing in your documents. For example, you have a code "Friendship" in all your 10 documents, i.e. you have 10 codes named "Friendship" in 10 different parent codes. You create a new code "Friendship ALL", go to the code "Friendship" and copy its coded segments (via right-click on the code > Copy coded segments) and paste them into the newly created code "Friendship ALL" (via right-click on the code > Paste coded segments...). As a result, you will have one merged code "Friendship ALL", which entails the coded segments from all documents.

Another option is working with different projects (one project = one document/case) and ultimately merge them into a meta-project. For this, you just need to open one project file, navigate to Home tab > Merge Projects, and select another project file. As a result, you will have a meta-project with the documents and codes (and other project components) from both project files. Attention: the codes with the same names will be merged into one code; the codes with different names will be simply added into the code system. More detailed information on merging project files is available here: http://www.maxqda.com/help.php?version=max20&id=1060

I hope, this will be helpful!

Best regards,

Aikokul
Aikokul

Return to Technical Questions