MAXQDA

Exluding 'interiewer' from data analysis

10.06.2023, 14:08

Hello,

Is it possible to exclude the words and statements made by the interviewer in the transcript from the data analysis? For example, Word Matrix Browser or World Cloud will count everything which distorts the data.

I will be grateful for your assistance.

Michael

Version: MAXQDA 2022
System: Windows 10
Mencjusz

Re: Exluding 'interiewer' from data analysis

16.06.2023, 09:10

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your question! Unfortunately, there is no direct way to exclude the statements of the interviewer. However, there is one work around:

- You can convert the interview into a Focus Group document (Home > Import > Convert Text to Focus Group Transcript) https://www.maxqda.com/help-mx22/import/importing-focus-group-transcripts
- Then, you can activate the interviewee in both the Document System and the Code System so that all their statements are retrieved in the Retrieved Segments window.
- Now you can use tools such as the Word Matrix Browser and limit it only to "In Retrieved Segments Window".

I hope this helps!

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
Andreas M.

18.06.2023, 13:12

Hi Andreas,

so, I did try to use the mentioned method, however, a notification pops up that the file with the transcripts and attached audio files cannot be transformed because "no speakers found in the text." The transcripts are structured:

Speaker 1
text text

Speaker 2
text text

I did try to use transformation in another project without audio files attached and it did identify the speakers.

Is that I need to delete the audio files from the 1st project to be able to transform the transcripts?

Thank you for your assistance.

Michal
Mencjusz

23.06.2023, 11:54

Hi Michal,

Thank you for your reply. This is probably not connected to the audio file. The structure of the transcript must be like this:

Speaker1: ....

Speaker2: .....

Please note the ":" (colon) is crucial here. Without it, MAXQDA will not recognize the speakers. However, you should be able to add it easily by using "search and replace".

I hope that helps!

Andreas
Andreas M.

23.06.2023, 15:33

Yes, it worked!

Thank you.
Mencjusz

Return to Technical Questions