MAXQDA

Bug? Transcript merges adjacent codes w same speaker

Moderator: srueger

Bug? Transcript merges adjacent codes w same speaker

31.05.2023, 19:24

Hi!

So I'm importing a video and associating a transcript with it (VTT, generated by Zoom).

The transcript includes timestamp ranges for anything anyone says in the video. If there are two people on the video, and Person 1 says something at 10 seconds, and then there's silence for 20 seconds, and then Person 1 says something else, then these two instances of Person 1 talking are listed with their timestamp range.

When I import this into MAXQDA, however, all consecutive instances of the same person speaking get merged into one giant time range.

Is there a way to make it not do that? Is it not importing correctly, or is this something that MAXQDA does deliberately?

Thanks,

Miriam

Version: MAXQDA 2022
System: Mac OS X 12.x (Monterey)
miriamboon

Re: Bug? Transcript merges adjacent codes w same speaker

09.06.2023, 14:18

Dear Miriam,

Thank you for your question!

Usually, VTT files have a structure like this:

00:01.000 --> 00:04.000
- Never drink Coca Cola.

00:05.000 --> 00:09.000
- It is not good for you. Really.

When you import this into MAXQDA it should look something like his:

00:01.00
- Never drink Coca Cola.

00:05.00
- It is not good for you. Really.

So MAXQDA usually takes the start time and places a time stamp there. Whether there are now two time stamps for what a person says or just one, will depend on the original transcript.

If it seems to you that there is still something off with the import, it would be the most direct solution, if you could send your original transcript and a screenshot of the import to the MAXQDA support team. So they can check if there is anything off with the import. Without having a look at the file, it is hard to say if this is currently correct or not.

I hope this helps!

Andreas
Andreas M.

Return to Technical Questions