MAXQDA

calculating intercoder agreement if file size diff

Moderator: srueger

calculating intercoder agreement if file size diff

08.09.2020, 19:12

I recently coded 3 transcripts and the coded files have embedded audio files. I hired a research assistant to double code with me and gave her clean transcripts that were exported from the ones I coded so should be same length, just without audio. The file sizes are different (number of characters differ for some reason). I'm wondering if this will be an issue when we try to calculate intercoder agreement in the future.

Does have differing file sizes matter (even if from what I can tell, the words and content are exactly the same)? Does having the audio embedded in my coded transcripts affect being able to calculate intercoder agreement? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Version: MAXQDA 2020
System: Windows 10
etseng3

Re: calculating intercoder agreement if file size diff

15.09.2020, 14:04

Hi etseg3,

Thank you for posting here! Yes, having identical texts is a necessary condition for running the intercoder agreement.

The file size does not change when a media file is linked or not. But did you maybe export the text file from one project and import it into another one? Importing a text on different computers and/or different operating systems can result in differences in the texts length.

To make sure the texts are identical, we recommend the following procedure:
1. Create a project with the documents to be coded. The documents must be contained in one or more document groups; or, alternatively, one or more document sets.
2. Make sure that the necessary codes are included in the “Code System”.
3. Make a copy of the project file and pass it on to the second coder.
4. Both coders write their names behind all document groups or document sets.
5. Both coders independently code the data and add new codes if necessary.
6. Use the function Start > Merge Projects to merge both projects into one.
7. Now MAXQDA’s Intercoder Agreement function can be used to compare the code assignments.
8. Once the comparison is complete, these added documents can be deleted.

You can read more about the intercoder agreement here in our online manual:
https://www.maxqda.com/help-mx20/teamwork/problem-intercoder-agreement-qualitative-research

I hope this helps!

Kind regards from the MAXQDA support team,
Maren
MAXQDA support team
Maren_eng

15.09.2020, 19:45

Hi Maren,

Thanks, that is helpful. I coded these transcripts on my computer and then exported a clean version of it and imported it back to the same project using the same computer so I'm confused as to why there is a discrepancy in file size with doing that. Is there a better way of creating a clean version of the transcript for it to be double-coded and be able to calculate intercoder agreement?

The process you describe in the instructions are assuming I start with clean transcripts but I'm not sure if it's diff if I have already coded transcripts.

Thanks,
Eva
etseng3

23.09.2020, 10:34

Hi Eva,

Another option to create a "clean" version of a document for further coding and calculating the Intercoder Agreement would be as follows:
- Select and rightclick the (original) document in the document system
- Select the option "Teamwork > Export Teamwork: Export Data to Exchange File"
- Create an Exchange File (MEX) in the local folder of your computer
- Open a new or target project file
- Go to Home tab and select "Teamwork: Import Data from Exchange File"
- Select the MEX file and click "New document" as import target in the dialogue window

This way, you should be able to create two identical documents (context and sizewise). Can you give a try?

Best,

Aikokul
Aikokul

23.09.2020, 18:54

Yes, that worked. Thank you so much!
etseng3

Return to Technical Questions