Returning to summary grid (view) from summary table

03.08.2018, 15:43

Hi

Is it possible to return from a summary in a summary table to the summary grid view from where the summary was created? If I have closed the grid and try to return to the segments from which I had created an entry in the summary table I only seem to be able to reach the coded segments of the document in the retrieved Segments window. I then have to start over recreating the Grid which seems to be causing my system significant issues even with one document and one code!

Kind regards
Peter

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
hibmathbergen

Re: Returning to summary grid (view) from summary table

21.08.2018, 08:45

Hi Peter,

I just see you posted this almost three weeks ago – can't explain how I missed this, sorry! Hm usually there shouldn't be any missing summaries etc. unless you haven't deleted the codes in question... the summaries should definitively stay there! Just to make sure, let me ask my usual question: Have you opened the project file from a a network ressource, USB-stick, external hard drive, or from a folder that's being kept synchronized with a cloud service maybe? Or has the issue been addressed in our online support or otherwise resolved somehow? If not, would it be possible for you to send us your project file?

Sorry again for the extreme delay!

Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

20.09.2019, 18:53

This issue is now relevant for me again.

The issue I am talking about happens in the following workflow. I begin on a summary grid with a number of codes and documents. I then close the window with the summary grid thinking I can return to it later and fill in the missing nodes. However, it is apparently not saved anywhere! Only the summary related to the individual nodes of the summary grid. That is a summary per node where I filled in a summary is saved in relation to the document it relates to. Now I could rebuild the summary grid again, but then I would have to remember exactly which documents and codes I had selected. This can be the outcome of a long thought process. I guess I could write my procedure down, but It seems counter-intuitive that it would just disappear. The summary table does after all not disappear when I close it.

Also once a summary table has been created I wonder if it is possible to add new columns beside the ones I have chosen, as I can not find any buttons for adding new variables as columns once it has been created. For some weird reason, my tables also seem to inherit variable columns from the preceding table in the list of my summary tables.

Please help!

Kind regards
Peter
hibmathbergen

27.09.2019, 12:05

Hi Peter!

Welcome back to the MAXQDA User Forum!

Let us go over your points one by one:
1. Saving the already created Summary Grids: as you have already figured out, MAXQDA saves only the inputs made in the document-to-code nodes, not the selection of documents and codes. Every time you open up a Summary Grid, MAXQDA generates a new grid. In your specific case, we would suggest creating a document set and a code set for each summary grid you want to create, and name them accordingly. Sets are specially designed for such cases.
2. Adding new columns to a summary table: once a summary table has been created, it is not possible to add new columns. You should decide to choose whether and which variables should appear in own column or for first column before creating a summary table. When you click "Open a new summary table", there are two tabs, "Choose documents and Codes" and "Choose variables"). MAXQDA saves the selection of variables, and next time you create a new summary table, it takes over the last saved selection (but you can always change it before creating the table!)

Please visit our online manual for further insights on Summarys: https://www.maxqda.com/help-max18/summary-grid/idea-behind-summary-grid

We hope this help!

Bets regards,

Aikokul
Aikokul

15.10.2019, 08:34

Good advice about the document set. I do wish that it would be possible to add columns later though. I also belive that I have experienced a couple of times that the dialogue for variable selection did not pop up when i made a table based on last saved selection.

Kind regards
Peter
hibmathbergen

21.10.2019, 10:27

Thanks for your feedback! I'll pass on the suggestion to add columns in the summary table later on to our product management team. In regard to the second point: If you should be able to reproduce any such error, please don't hesitate to let us know about it, either here or via our support form:

https://www.maxqda.com/help-support/onlinesupport

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Return to Technical Questions