Constant crashing after new memo hotkey

09.01.2019, 01:50

I'm getting pretty frustrated with the crashing. Running Mac OS 10.14.2. While transcribing, I hit the 'new memo' hotkey (opt+shift+i). MAXQDA always generates two memos in the same place, so I have to delete one. Then I write a memo is the remaining open memo box. Then I hit X to close the memo. Then MAXQDA crashes. It happens every time.

Any advice?

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Mac OS X 10.13 (High Sierra)
team_uni

Re: Constant crashing after new memo hotkey

10.01.2019, 13:56

Dear team_uni,

Thank you for lettings us know about this issue! We are sorry to hear you ran into issues while using MAXQDA.

It's a bit puzzling though: opt+shift+i is not the hotkey for creating new memos in transcripts. According to our manual, you can only insert memos directly in the media file, the keyboard shortcut for this is "⌥ + ⇧ + M":

https://www.maxqda.com/help-max18/technical-data-and-information/keyboard-shortcuts

"opt+shift+i" does simply nothing on our Macs here... Are you using another program to use keyboard shortcuts? How come you use "opt+shift+i" ?

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas Veltens

11.01.2019, 00:12

Apologies! I just mistyped. I meant to write opt+shift+m

I didn't see a way to edit my post after I made it.

I get it confused sometimes with the shortcut for in-vivo coding.
team_uni

16.01.2019, 18:09

Dear team_uni,

Thank you for your reply and patience thus far. We have tried to reproduce this error here on High Sierra and Mojave as well, but on both systems, pressing "opt+shift+m" either opens the document memo (if no part of the audio/video file itself is highlighted), or it creates a memo directly attached to the audio file/video file/waveform.

It sounds like this happens both at the same time on your Mac (opening document memo and creating a memo attached to the waveform)? Are you still able to reproduce this error?

If so, you could help our programmers to isolate this error by sending us a crashreport. To send us the crashreport on Mac, please reproduce the error in MAXQDA first, so that the application crashes. After that, don't start MAXQDA again (!), and navigate to the folder

\Documents\MAXQDA2018\_MAXQDA_System

There should be a file called "MAXQDA2018_Support.zip". Please copy it somewhere else before starting MAXQDA again, and send it to us as an attachment in our support form:

https://www.maxqda.com/help-support/onlinesupport#Kontaktieren

We will then hopefully have the means to reproduce and fix this error.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas Veltens

18.01.2019, 04:23

Sent. Thank you for the assistance!
team_uni

Return to Technical Questions