Aggregate Subcodes into Parent Code Frequency

05.10.2017, 19:32

I have a question about how to aggregate counts of subcodes to parent codes. For example, I have a parent code called "Direct Experiences" and subcodes: Academic, Extracurricular, and Work. When coding for these 3 subcodes, the count of codes is not automatically incorporated into the parent code. Is there a way that I can do this?

I realize when activating the parent code, subcodes can be automatically activated as well. During any analyses, I wonder if these will still be combined. For instance, when running frequencies for "Direct Experiences," does MAXQDA include the subcode frequencies into this sum? If not, is there a way that I can do this?

Best,

Yin

Version: MAXQDA 12
System: Windows 7
yincheniful

Re: Aggregate Subcodes into Parent Code Frequency

06.10.2017, 10:09

Dear Yin,

the easiest way to aggregate the number of coded segments for a parent code is to simply retract the parent code in the "Code System"-window. To get detailed frequencies with sums, means etc. for any parentcode, just right-click on the parent code in the "Code System", and select "Statistics for Subcodes". Then you can select the parent code(s) that you are interested in, and the following table will show you the frequencies for both all the subcodes and the total sum of all of them (= frequency of parent code).

I hope this is what you are looking for?
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Return to Technical Questions