Using Google's Backup & Sync

07.09.2017, 15:24

MAXQDA recommends to not actively use Dropbox etc. while using their software, as per http://www.maxqda.com/faq/a-13-can-i-store-my-maxqda-projects-in-cloud-based-services-like-dropbox

However, now with the launch of Google's Backup & Sync service, it is technically possible to use a local file and automatically sync this with the cloud, see https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/13/google-backup-and-sync-is-here-lets-take-a-look/

Would this lead to any potential technical issues? (E.g. the fact that the local file is constantly and automatically synced with Google Drive could that corrupt the local MAXQDA file?)

Version: MAXQDA 12
System: Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
lgl

Re: Using Google's Backup & Sync

07.09.2017, 16:04

Hi lgl,

I don't really I understand the difference between this new (?) Google-Sync and Dropbox, so I'll just tell you what the specific problem with those services and MAXQDA is.

As far as I know, the issue with cloud-services only occurs when you use your cloud-service on more then one computer. What happens is this: Most cloud-services synchronize a file as soon as it gets updated, which usually means it got saved. With MAXQDA however, all changes get automatically saved all the time, but this saving needs to be finished (e.g. when the project is closed), before you should actually copy the file. But these cloud-services copy the project file basically right in the middle of the saving process, before it's really completed. That messes up the project file that gets on the Dropbox-server. When you then use to a second PC while you have a messed-up-project file in there, it'll recognize that the one on the server is newer then the local file, and it'll overwrite this one on your second PC. Afterwards, it'll copy the still-messed-up-project file back to the server, and when you go back to your first PC, the same thing happens again (the server version is newer and thus the old local project file on your first computer get also corrupted.)

So if the project file does not get synchronized while it is opened in MAXQDA or if you only use one PC, that should not happen (because the local file is always newer or as new as the one in the cloud).

I hope this explains it!

Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

08.09.2017, 09:23

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the prompt response and clear explanation.

On that basis, presumably Google's Backup & Sync service might still cause issues with MAXQDA files as the syncing of the local file to the server is an ongoing thing. With Google's Backup & Sync, as I understand it, the local file is 'virtually' moved into the cloud.

Luc
lgl

09.09.2017, 03:54

lgl wrote:MAXQDA recommends to not actively use Dropbox etc. while using their software, as per http://www.maxqda.com/faq/a-13-can-i-store-my-maxqda-projects-in-cloud-based-services-like-dropbox

However, now with the launch of Google's Backup & Sync Papers Please apk service, it is technically possible to use a local file and automatically sync this with the cloud, see https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/13/google-backup-and-sync-is-here-lets-take-a-look/

Would this lead to any potential technical issues? (E.g. the fact that the local file is constantly and automatically synced with Google Drive could that corrupt the local MAXQDA file?)

Version: MAXQDA 12
System: Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)

Don't worry. It's just data-transfer through services. Everything will be auto synced
Crander

13.09.2017, 12:55

Don't worry. It's just data-transfer through services. Everything will be auto synced

Yes I agree with you mate. :)
sarahah

11.10.2017, 10:01

Has anyone actually tested this? I'm continually swapping between machines and being able to have the project file on Google Drive would make life so much easier!
julia

Return to Technical Questions