highlighting text in different sections as one block of text

10.07.2017, 12:29

Hi,

I am using MaxQDA 11. When coding some documents I want to be able to miss out some text when coding and thus have two separate bits of text coded as one segment. For example, if there is a paragraph of text in which the beginning and the end have information about the same topic which I coding to one code, but the middle is rather useless or relevant to another code, how can I do this? Other needs for using this feature include coding PDF documents in which there is some text I am coding and then in the following page there is a header before the rest of the text I want to code. I essentially need to 'skip' the header and only code for what I need.

I have tried holding control and also shift when highlighting the first bit of text and then highlighting the rest but it will not allow me to do what I want. is there a work around?

I have been added comments to text to say that the segment of text relates to another segment but I was hoping for a better solution.

Thanks for your help,
Sam

Version: MAXQDA 11
System: Windows XP
jamie10

Re: highlighting text in different sections as one block of

10.07.2017, 17:23

Hi Jamie,

thanks for your question! Treating two disconnected coded segments as one is technically not directly possible, but depending on why you want to proceed in this manner, there could indeed be a workaround.

If you want to signify that the beginning and the end of a section belong together (without applying the code to the whole segment), you can code the beginning and the end separately and use document links.

If you worry about the number of coded segments being misrepresented by your coding (because you want to do something with the code frequency), then I recommend to assign weigths to your coded segments. If you have two separate segments that belong to each other, you can only give one of them a certain weight. All quantitative functions touching code frequency in MAXQDA will allow you to limit your selection of coded segments to the ones with a specified weight.

I hope this helps! If not, don't hesitate to write to us again.
Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

11.07.2017, 11:18

... I forgot: you can of course also use the color-coding to highlight different sections in one coded segment. That way you'll at least see the relevant parts at a glance in the document browser. (As you but probably not everyone knows, you simply need to click on an entry in the "list of coded segments"-window to jump to the respective passage in the document browser.)
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

14.07.2017, 14:23

Hi, thanks for your help. The link to document links was for MaxQDA 12, I use 11. Is there similar functionality in 11? I couldn't see the same kind of document links function in version 11...
jamie10

17.07.2017, 09:19

Sorry, I forgot: in MAXQDA11 this function is called "text link". Works the same though: mark the first passage, right click and select "insert text link". Then go to the second passage (can also be in another document) and select "insert text link again". Now you can jump from one passage to another.
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Return to Technical Questions