How can I add multiple existing documents to a group at once

20.05.2017, 05:28

I can create a group, and then drag multiple files into it from the Finder, in order to add multiple documents into the group at the moment of import.

Likewise, I can create a group and use the menu Documents > Import Documents add multiple documents into the group at the moment of import.

But how can I move multiple documents that I have already imported? Standard UI behavior on the Mac is to allow the user to shift-click to select a range of items or command-click to select additional arbitrary items, but neither of these work. Is there another trick to selecting multiple documents at once so that I can drag them into a group? This doesn't seem like an operation which should only be possible at the moment documents are initially imported.

Thanks.

Version: MAXQDA 12
System: Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
derickfay

Re: How can I add multiple existing documents to a group at

23.05.2017, 09:36

Dear Derick,

Thanks for your question! Indeed there are two ways to select and move multiple documents at once.

One way is to select multiple documents via shift-click, which you can do in the data editor (navigate in the menu to "Variables > List of document variables" and then switch to data editor). You can then activate them via right-click, and then move them into a document folder by selecting "move activated document here".

The other way is to use the "activate by variable"-function, which you can find among the symbols in the "Document System"-window (it's the second from the left). Here you can activate documents created by a specific time or with a certain number of coded segments etc.

All the best,
Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Re: How can I add multiple existing documents to a group at

25.05.2017, 23:07

Thanks -- using the first technique works great.
derickfay

Return to Technical Questions