portable license installation not working

23.11.2015, 20:52

I have just bought the MaxQda portable license. When I try to download it to my mac computer from this link that I received in my "thank you for your order"-mail.
After I have downloaded the program I have dragged it on to my usb stick (Sandisk usb 16gb cruiser blade - if that makes any difference) and from there I have tried to open the program.
Annoyingly it keeps saying that the program cannot open because the file is damaged, so I have to delete it.

Can someone please help me figure out what to do?
Best regards
Rikke

Re: portable license installation not working

24.11.2015, 09:19

Dear Rikke,

this is a common problem with installations on pen drives on a Mac, because of the security settings.

Please see our frequently asked questions to get your MAXQDA installed:

http://www.maxqda.com/faq/g-8-error-mes ... t-to-trash

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
MAXQDA Professional Trainer
Stefan Rädiker

03.11.2016, 11:10

I am running into the same problem. However, the newest Mac OS does not have option "anywhere" in the security options. Please advise how to proceed.
Klavs

03.11.2016, 11:53

Hi Klavs,

there are 2 options:

1. If you want to use your USB pen drive only with Macs, you can format it using the Mac OS Journaled format. Please note that all data of the drive will get lost when formatting it! You can format an usb drive by using the tool "Disk Utility" that is already installed on a Mac: http://www.howtogeek.com/255251/how-to- ... -your-mac/.
After formatting the USB drive in this format, you will not get any errors when starting MAXQDA from the stick for the first time.

2. If you want to use your USB drive on Windows and Mac computers, you can keep the format as "FAT32" which is the standard for USB pen drive and use a simple trick:
a) Open the MAXQDA12.DMG file
b) Drag the MAXQDA symbol onto your desktop (and not on your pen drive, yet).
c) Start MAXQDA with a double click. You Mac will verify the downloaded file. Select "Open" to start MAXQDA.
d) Close it after it has started.
e) Now, drag the Application Icon onto your pen drive

This workaround is necessary, because Mac needs to verify the downloaded file on a "Mac OS Journaled" formatted drive.

Hope this helps, best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Stefan Rädiker

01.12.2016, 11:01

Hi,

I use MAXQDA 12 Portable Mac version. Maxqda works fine on my work computer, from where I bought and installed Maxqda on a flash usb-stick. It is a Mac with Sierra. Now, I work from home with my personal Mac computer. It runs Sierra also. But I can not open Maxqda. The error massage is that it is damaged, and that I should move it to trash.

I have tried this (Sierra info at the bottom): http://www.maxqda.com/faq/g-8-error-mes ... t-to-trash , but it does not work.

What can I do to make it work with my mac at home?
Martin Karlsson

01.12.2016, 11:33

Hi,

Could you please explain what does not work if using the workaround (it is the same I have described above in this thread point 2))

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Stefan Rädiker

01.12.2016, 12:01

Hi Stefan,

I still says it broken.

// Martin
Martin Karlsson

01.12.2016, 12:13

Hi Martin,

if you use the USB stick only on Mac, you could format it with Mac OS Journaled and reinstall MAXQDA from the download link you had in your delivery email. You just need to re-enter your serial number.

Another option might be to re-install it on the USB drive without reformatting it on the Mac where the problem occurs: delete the existing installation, download the installation file and follow the FAQ entry for installing portable on OS Sierra.

Hope this helps,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Stefan Rädiker

01.12.2016, 12:50

Hi Stefan,

I downloaded Maxqda again and followed those instruction. Now it works :-)

Thank you for quick and good assistance and service.

// Martin
Martin Karlsson

Return to Technical Questions