Multiple selection

05.05.2014, 15:55

I'm using MAXQDA 11 for Mac. When I am organizing documents and codes, I am not able to select more than one item at a time, either continuously (using shift key) or non-contiguously (using command key).

I can't find information on this, but if I am missing something, could someone enlighten me?

And if this is simply not possible, I'd recommend adding that "feature" soon, as this is pretty much standard application behavior, and this might be the first program I've ever used that doesn't allow for it. It makes organizing pretty tiresome to only be able to choose and move one item at a time

:D I'm demo-ing this software because the Mac version of Nvivo's text editing behaviors are un tenable, but this app behavior might be even more bizarre!

====
*addendum*
All right, I've finally learned about "activating" documents and then selecting "Move activated documents here" in the manual. This is not an option, however, in the Mac version. Even so, a very strange and non-standard document behavior. Counter-intuitive.
simontarr

Re: Multiple selection

09.05.2014, 19:28

Hi,

we will add the feature "move activated codes" and "move activated documents" with the next or the following free update in the Mac version. This means the function will be available very soon. Activation is a standard process in MAXQDA and after working with it, it should be no problem to handle this.

At the moment there is no option to select multiple entries in the Document or Code System. We will integrate this more intuitve way of handling trees in the future, but it is not planned for MAXQDA 11, yet. In most times (I would say 95%) moving one code at a time should be the standard usage, so maybe this is not a big issue ...

Best regards from the MAXQDA team,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
MAXQDA Professional Trainer
Stefan Rädiker

28.05.2014, 15:29

+1 from me for this feature.

Move activated selection is OK, but a more native way would be to shift-click to highlight contiguous documents/codes, then drag them. shift-cmd-click should activate contiguous documents/codes.

NB. the red-shading to show that an item is activated is very difficult to see, especially as items are so small.
johnkingeu

10.08.2014, 12:57

I think this is absolutely essential.
I've created a code set, and now I want to drag some codes into it. The only logical way for me to do that is to select all the codes I want to include in the set. Doing them one at a time (when I have to drag them all the way to the bottom of a long list of codes) is not efficient at all.
Thanks for your attention...
nicholasjohn

10.08.2014, 17:15

Hi Nicholas,

we see the point. Please note that if you create a Code set it will contain automatically the activated codes.

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
MAXQDA Professional Trainer
Stefan Rädiker

10.08.2014, 17:31

I've realised that.
But of course that just shifts the problem, because I can't select multiple codes (unless they're sub-codes). :)
nicholasjohn

20.07.2017, 08:59

Hi! I struggle with the same problem. Has this "feature" not been added yet? (I am using MAXQDA 12.3.1).

In a situation where I want to move, say, 7 codes to an existing code set, it is then quite annoying to have to drag them one by one to the bottom of the code tree all the way to the sets. The "include all activated codes" function is only useful when creating a new set. But coding is, as you know, an ongoing iterative process, so it would certainly be helpful to be able to select multiple codes (or documents for that matter) at the same time by pressing Shift or CTRL.
KatrineK

Return to Technical Questions