importing tabulated transcripts - advice?

17.01.2014, 14:07

Hi - I’m about to import transcriptions of video data, and I wanted to check my proposed method and structure – I’m new to MAXQDA, and don’t want to miss an efficient strategy if anyone can recommend one! I have 60 transcripts, and they are tabulated: each one has ~250 rows of data, covering 70 questions and sub-questions. Many sub-questions have multiple rows of transcript. Each transcript has columns for the timestamp, question number, and sub-question labels, and then 4 columns of transcribed content: speech, gesture, gaze, and body movement.

The best method I’ve found so far seems to be to use the “Import from spreadsheet” option, making timestamp, question number and sub-question labels become variables, and speech, gesture, gaze, and body movement become codes. I am pleased with how this allows me to retrieve specific data, but the downsides which I am wondering about are: (1) the data now consists of 15 000 (60 x 250) documents; and (2) I can't find a good way to view the data in its narrative form (either the original transcript table or something similar) – which would be helpful when it comes to reviewing the coding, and moving from initial coding to more sophisticated interpretation.

I also tried importing the transcripts as text files with pre-coding, but I struggled to do this within the table structure of the transcripts (I worked through plain text examples as in the tutorials and it was fine, I just couldn’t replicate it for the tabulated data).

Apologies for such a long post - but I thought the problem doesn’t make sense without most technical details. Thank you in advance for any suggestions or recommendations!
JHWilliamson

Re: importing tabulated transcripts - advice?

20.01.2014, 12:04

Hello,

we think that "Import documents from spreadsheets" is not a good option in this case, because each row will be a single document and you will loose the context.

We think there are 2 options:

1) Convert the transrkipts to Excel files and import them directly as a table document. Advantage: This keeps the structure of the documents. Disadvantage: No precoding is possible, but you could search for each question and code the search results automatically with a question code. Please note, that it is not possible to code more than one cell at once and so the question numbers have to be in the same cell as the answer.

2) Convert the table in Word to Paragraphs and use the import procedure for structured text and pre-code all Questions and answers
Advantage: More analytical functions in MAXQDA are available at the end, Disadvantage: More

3) Maybe the following option is also a good idea or really the best: Convert the table in Word to paragraphs and import the 60 transkripts. Create codes for each questions (i.e. by importing them from an excel spread sheet), search for Question 1 and autoocde paragraphs to pre-code the material with your questions.

We suggest to test our suggestion on one (piece of) document first. Please find some more information on each import procedure and the autocode function in the manual:
http://www.maxqda.com/download/manuals/ ... al_eng.pdf

Hope these hints help!

Best regards and all the best for your analysis,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
MAXQDA Professional Trainer
Stefan Rädiker

Return to MAXQDA in Research