Controlling paragraphs in focus groups

07.03.2016, 21:17

In my focus group transcripts, I'm trying to control the paragraphs that appear in MaxQDA, since I code both at the excerpt and full paragraph level. For example, if Jackie talks for a long time and I break it up into multiple paragraphs in my transcript, when I import it, I still want the visible spaces between her paragraphs, but I want that full long turn of talk to be counted as a single paragraph in MaxQDA.

I had been successfully accomplishing this by replacing ^p with ^l in Word, with ^p only immediately before a new speaker. My latest attempted import is breaking it up, though, so Jackie has multiple paragraphs during one turn of talk. I've double-checked my paragraphs and line breaks, and tried .docx, .doc, and .rtf, but no luck. Any advice? Or any idea of what's happening?

Thanks =D

Caro
therealcaro

Re: Controlling paragraphs in focus groups

08.03.2016, 17:13

Hi Caro,

Many thanks for question. If I understand it right this information might help:

For the automatic coding process of focus group contributions, MAXQDA looks for a ":" within 63 charaters after a "^p" (which is a real paragraph and not a soft line break). If you replace all "^p" by "^l" in the transcript the automatic coding process will not work.

We suggest that you keep "^p" (or better double "^p" which creates an extra line for better distinction of different speakers) at the end of each contribution of a different person. Then you place the cursor at each position inside a contribution where you want to add a linebreak and use "Shift+Enter" to create a line break ("^l"), i.e. you hold down the shift key and press Enter.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
MAXQDA Professional Trainer
Stefan Rädiker

09.03.2016, 14:23

Hi, Stefan!

So I do use ^p before each new speaker, but that's not quite what I mean.

So previously, my imported data would look like this: Everything including and after Chunk 12_2 here is one paragraph, so I can code that whole piece by dragging a single code over - and even my data with multiple paragraphs of text would import as one MaxQDA paragraph, because I'd use ^l to have just the soft breaks within the same speaker.

correct paragraph.jpg
correct paragraph.jpg (39.47 KiB) Viewed 14480 times

Now, my similarly prepared data (*and* any previously imported data that I edit) looks like this, with the speaker and any following paragraphs appearing as separate MaxQDA paragraphs:

paragraph issues.jpg
paragraph issues.jpg (184.35 KiB) Viewed 14480 times

So I can no longer drag over a single code to the paragraph to apply it holistically. Does that make more sense?

Sorry this is so complicated!

Caro
therealcaro

09.03.2016, 16:16

Hi Caro,

I think I see what you mean. Coding whole paragraphs with one drag of a code and using automatic coding of speakers, when importing focus group transcripts doesn't work together. So I would suggest to use a different way of fast coding: you can assign shortcuts to a code for example. This means you only have to highlight a broader segment that includes two or more paragraphs and then you can use the keyboard shortcut to code it very fast. You can find the function here: "Codes > Keyboard shortcuts for codes".

Hope this helps ...

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
MAXQDA Professional Trainer
Stefan Rädiker

Return to Technical Questions