Sync changes in (Word) documents

09.02.2016, 10:24

Hi

I am wondering if it is possible to save the changes I make to an imported (word) document to the external (word) document. That is I import a (word) document, make changes in maxqda, and then these changes are visible in the (word) document when i open it in an external editor (word).

Kind regards
Peter
hibmathbergen

Re: Sync changes in (Word) documents

09.02.2016, 18:13

I just tried it in the Mac version and it seems to work just fine. I did notice that the export options were only .RTFD, .RTF, .DOC, .ODT, .XLS. I put it in as a DOCX and got it out as a DOC. I didn't do much editing to the doc, so Im not sure if the results you get out will be satisfactory to what you are trying to do.
FredS

09.02.2016, 20:24

Hi Peter,

DOCX files will be saved in the project file during the import in MAXQDA and can be exported as RTF on Windows or as DOC file (and the other types FredS has mentioned) on Mac. Word allows you to open RTF as well as DOC files.

Word allows you to compare two documents:
1. Open Word and click on the "REVIEW" Tab.
2. Choose "Compare" from the "Compare" group and select the original DOCX and the exported file.
3. Choose the settings for comparing and start the comparing procedure.

I find the Word result very impressive for this task, because it highlights all the changes that have made (and that you have chosen to be compared) in comparison to the original document.

Hope this helps.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
MAXQDA Professional Trainer
Stefan Rädiker

24.02.2016, 14:18

Hi Stefan

You are always very helpfull. I found out in the manual that you on purpose do not make changes to the external file based on changes in maxqda to the imported document. That is a sensible safeguard, but on the other hand makes managing files a bit more complicated. When you said that a docx version of the file is stored in the project, what do you mean, do you mean that they are saved in the externals folder because I can't find the copy there?
I am especially interested in being able to import a word documents with comments into max qda. Then make changes to the document in maxqda and later be able to work with the file in word again, without loosing my original comments. Tough order I know;)

Kind regards
Peter
hibmathbergen

24.02.2016, 14:30

Hi Peter,

You are welcome. The imported doc/x files will be converted to RTF and saved inside the MAXQDA project file so you can not see or edit them outside of MAXQDA.

I see no other option to import your comments and to go back to Word after editing the document in MAXQDA besides the ways I have already described.

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
MAXQDA Professional Trainer
Stefan Rädiker

Return to Technical Questions